Fruit smelled rotten

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmchair

Reaction score
After primary ferm, my formerly frozen tropical fruit smelled like vomit. I did plunge the fruit pieces into the liquid twice a day.

I decided to continue on, but now that I am at drinking stage I am wondering if I'll get sick or die. I thought it was probably okay, but then it freaked me out that the mead is carbonated when it shouldn't be. Can someone talk me off the ledge?

I concur with BrewerBear. If you mean you were somehow dunking the fruit into the mead and then taking it out daily, now there's your problem. A sure way to contaminate your mead. If that's what you meant, I have a few questions. Why were you doing this what gave you the idea? (Terrible idea btw) How EXACTLY were you dunking the fruit? Were you using different fruit each time or the same fruit? If you were using a strainer or cheesecloth, did you use a decontaminated or freshly washed one each time? Even with this terrible idea, disaster could of probably been averted, if all the proper precautions were taken. Secondly, your mead is carbonated because you bottled it too soon. As a self rule I wait until all the bubbles stop. Then wait at least a week and check everyday if any bubbles form (Two weeks is better). If there is none, I assume all the yeast to have either A: Died from drowning in there own alcohol. Or B: Ran out of sugars. In case B, the yeast are probably not all dead and won't be for a while, and unsettling the sediment could reactivate some yeast for an unspecified amount of time. Also, if you were to add a small amount of sugar to the not-quite-dead yeast, it could, and in most circumstances would, once bottled, create a carbonated beverage.

I assume that's not what he was doing at all, when brewing with fruit it usually all floats to the top. When this happens you push it all down every so often so that mould can't form on the fruit above the liquid and to help the gas escape.

Could you describe the smell on another way? Fermenting is effectively controlled rotting after all...

Back