Re using Nottingham from an Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el_caro

Reaction score
Last week I washed some Notty from BM's Centennial Blonde and wonder if this is going to impart a different flavor than fresh Notty would to the cider I am about to put down?

Just gutting a 1 week old bottle of BM's Centennial Blonde now and it could really grow on you.

No reason you shouldn't be able to reuse it, but for how cheap notty is I usually just buy more.

Ouch really? Last I checked it was still only $2 at my LHBS. I'm paying $10 a vial for WL yeast now though.

Danstar raised their prices a few months ago. Some of the LHBS's that ordered when it was still cheap are still keeping their prices low, but not for long. At $2, I'd stock up.

el caro - can you get Brupaks Ale yeast in Adelaide? It makes a great cider and still reasonably priced.

Last week I washed some Notty from BM's Centennial Blonde and wonder if this is going to impart a different flavor than fresh Notty would to the cider I am about to put down?

I'd be very interested to know how re-using lees/trub from another fermentation affects the flavor of cider. I mean the unwashed/unseparated slurry from a previous batch of something.

When making Lemon wine ("skeeter pee") it is typical to use the lees from another, finished batch of wine as the yeast component ... and that specifically does give a subtle differences in the final flavor of the lemon wine.

I've had great results from the use of lees from cranberry wine, crabapple wine, and especially banana wine.

Never thought about doing it before, but I would think that for cider, it would be the same.

I'd be very interested to know how re-using lees/trub from another fermentation affects the flavor of cider. I mean the unwashed/unseparated slurry from a previous batch of something.

When making Lemon wine ("skeeter pee") it is typical to use the lees from another, finished batch of wine as the yeast component ... and that specifically does give a subtle differences in the final flavor of the lemon wine.

I've had great results from the use of lees from cranberry wine, crabapple wine, and especially banana wine.

Never thought about doing it before, but I would think that for cider, it would be the same.

Well it has been 20 hours in the fermentation vessel and is making a slow but sure start. ( I did not make starter)
I will report much later if I can taste anything unusual or different from the batch I am drinking now which was made with the first generation of the same yeast packet.

Back