What is a Spice Tea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muse435

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm making a pumpkin ale and i have read a lot of threads talking about spice teas. I can't seem to find what is meant by that, can any one help me on this?

i think what they're referring to is the specialty grains, making the "spice tea" i haven't heard it used for anything else... hoepfully someone else will chime in :)

I've heard it being used as something that you add to your secondary to add more spice flavor.
Basically take whatever spices you're going to use (cinnamon, etc) and steep it in a cup of hot water to make a tea of sorts. Cool that down and add to your secondary.

Never done it myself, but that's what I've always believed it to be.

It's a loose definition of tea. You get a small saucepan of water to a heavy simmer. Take the spices,herbs,etc & put them in a hop sack (the little ones),& drop it into the simmering water.
Simmer until the liquid has some good color to it. About 15-20 mins. Remove sack,take it off the burner,& allow to cool with a lid on it to keep the lil nasties out. Then just pour it into the beer in your secondary.

An alternate version to using hot water, which can boil off some of the aromatics from the spices, is to simply mix your spices with enough vodka or pure grain alcohol to cover them, let it sit for an hour (2 to 3 hours if one of the spices is whole vanilla bean, which you should split open beforehand). The alcohol will sanitize the spices and you won't lose any of the aromatics. It's best to add the tea after primary fermentation, since a vigorous primary could also cause you to lose some of the aromatics.

I've read about that version too. Maybe the better way? And,just as with dry hoping,if you do it in the primary FV,make sure it's done fermenting. It's said that the settling yeast can carry the aromatic oils down to the bottom with it.?...

Thanks for the advise. I think what i'm going to do this time around is boil water, add the spices, add priming sugar, then rack on top in the keg for natural carbed from the tap.

Back