Cheap Sources for GF Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aggieotis

Reaction score
I'm looking towards getting my first all-grain batch of GF beer, but running into a bit of a problem. How to cheaply get a hold of such a large quantity of grain.

I figure since we have to do all the malting and kilning of the grains ourselves, then we should just buy the raw grains and it should be pretty cheap.

Unfortunately though, most people selling these GF grains are doing so for a niche market that for some reason they think needs to buy things in 1/2 pound quantities with 4 different organic certifications and for a minimum of $3-8/lb. I know that some stores have some grains in bulk, but those stores still charge a premium (for example Whole Foods has bulk items, but even then they're not cheap).

That brings up the question of, "How to buy GF grains for less?"

I was thinking that since the process of malting will do a good job of washing the grains we could maybe even settle for 'feed grain'. If so then we could probably buy grain for pennies on the pound. In my area I can buy Millet for $8 per 50 lbs sack, and Red Sorghum (Milo) for about $5 per 50 lbs sack.

Anybody know if feed grain can work for human consumption if better washed? Additionally do any of you know of good resources to get large sacks of other grains such as White Sorghum, Amaranth, Teff, or White Quinoa?

I'm looking towards getting my first all-grain batch of GF beer, but running into a bit of a problem. How to cheaply get a hold of such a large quantity of grain.

I figure since we have to do all the malting and kilning of the grains ourselves, then we should just buy the raw grains and it should be pretty cheap.

Unfortunately though, most people selling these GF grains are doing so for a niche market that for some reason they think needs to buy things in 1/2 pound quantities with 4 different organic certifications and for a minimum of $3-8/lb. I know that some stores have some grains in bulk, but those stores still charge a premium (for example Whole Foods has bulk items, but even then they're not cheap).

That brings up the question of, "How to buy GF grains for less?"

I was thinking that since the process of malting will do a good job of washing the grains we could maybe even settle for 'feed grain'. If so then we could probably buy grain for pennies on the pound. In my area I can buy Millet for $8 per 50 lbs sack, and Red Sorghum (Milo) for about $5 per 50 lbs sack.

Anybody know if feed grain can work for human consumption if better washed? Additionally do any of you know of good resources to get large sacks of other grains such as White Sorghum, Amaranth, Teff, or White Quinoa?

MALTED gluten free grains, as little as 5 pounds per order, can be ordered from
Colorado Malting Company: several millets, buckwheat, teff, quinoa, amaranth, sunflower, milo, etc.
I know some grains get sprayed when they enter the USA and therefore are rendered impotent from the chemicals and will not sprout! Malting then becomes impossible.

Latest posts

Back