miss's problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewer06

Reaction score
what do u do when the miss's says that ur drinkin to much?
I have around a 6pk a day of my home brew.........I'm being driven away from brewing cause of this clashing should I wait till she goes out? or sneak out the back shed?:confused:

I usually cut back for a little while. It helps if you go to a party or two and actually stay sober enough to drive (bring her attention to that fact).

brewer06 said:
I have around a 6pk a day of my home brew.........I'm being driven away from brewing cause of this clashing should I wait till she goes out? or sneak out the back shed?:confused:

Only a sixer? Sounds to me like your woman needs to open her eyes a little bit...spend a little time around folks like those that peruse these forums. A sixer is just a warmup. :tank:

Seriously, is your drinking becoming a problem? Do you get belligerent, aggressive, arrogant, rude, after those 6 beers? And/or, are you developing any health or physical appearance problems because of it? If the answer to both of those questions is "no", then you need to have a little talkin-to with the misses. Ask her, earnestly, why she has a problem with something that really has no adverse effects? Tell her how much you like homebrewing, and that she's standing in the way of your happiness ;)

Or, cut back to 5 bottles/night just to shut her up :D

Or, here's another idea: instead of bottling your homebrew, keg it. That way, it's more difficult for her to keep tabs on how much you've drank.

Damn, I'm evil...

Evan! said:
Or, here's another idea: instead of bottling your homebrew, keg it. That way, it's more difficult for her to keep tabs on how much you've drank.

Damn, I'm evil...
Also works for me. I don't consider it evil...just convenient.

For sure on the keggin deal. If i have 3 brews a day (bottled) i hear about it. If i seem to be sipping slowly on the one beer(three) that i have had from the keg then all is well.

i may be inclined to say that 6 is on the high side though.

My advice would be not to do it every day - that's probably what's bothering her. And honestly - 6 beers a day can't be good for ya anyway.

Had a similar situation at my home....but my problem was I would get mouthy and be a jerk. It took me a while to realize it as my father was a full blown alcoholic. Anyway, we've come to the agreement that, and I'm now glad I do, I only drink on Friday and Saturday nights, at the house, and only late evenings when she crashes out, around 2100 or so. But the most important thing that made me understand all of that is the birth of my daughter, whom is now 3 and watching and listening to everything I say or do. I don't want her seeing me like I saw Dad. I've been mixing Jim Beam's and Cokes since I was about 8. I really don't want her to go through that....so that's another reason for starting homebrewing. I get her involved. She helps me stir the wort and dump ingredients in. I explain to her what we are doing and how it works and that we're making beer. I don't hide that away. She's taken a sip and doesn't like it, and that's good. I tell her mom and dad like a cold beer and it's OK now and then, but don't get "stupid." I know she's young, but she's an only child and in my experience and observations, they grow up really fast and can understand things you think they can't. I want her to know that it's OK to drink, but you have to be responsible for your actions and you have to think. We all have friends that get drunk and don't "think." Akin to "hey, hold my beer and watch this!"

Is that anything like "hold my beer and the wheel, i have to scratch myself in two places at once"?

uhh, that never happened by the way.

I don't think I could handle six beers on any one day, let alone all of them. I do my best to avoid beer during the week (of course, I like to lump Thursday evenings in with my weekend).

ayrton said:
I don't think I could handle six beers on any one day, let alone all of them. I do my best to avoid beer during the week (of course, I like to lump Thursday evenings in with my weekend).

I'm pretty much a friday and saturday (and the occasional Thurs or Sunday) drinker. I have no problem putting away 6 or more, but I couldn't imagine doing it every day. I'd expect that much drinking to have a negative effect on my health, work and relationships.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but six(6) beers EVERY night is not good for you. That fact that your wife has complained about it speaks volumes to this being a problem that she does not want to go through.

At 6 a night I am afraid that you have gone beyond the enjoyment of the tastes of your hobby to being more interested in the "buzz" associated with the consuming. Let's be honest, after just a couple of beers the taste just doesn't seem to be as a "WOW" factor anymore. And what is the main reason that we all got started in this hobby...to make great tasting beer!!!!!!

Listen to the wife. Talk to her and find out what level of "tasting" your brews that she is comfortable with and work out a compromise that she can live with. And most importantly stick with the deal at all times. And contrary to the title of this thread it is not her problem!!!!

At 6 homebrews per night, I'm willing to bet her issues are more about your gas and less about your liver. Or is it that she's tired of seeing you waste money on new pants (because you've got to be racking on the pounds).

I think you should consider waht she said, unless she's just a totaly controlling witch. The sneaking around thing does sort of raise red flags with me though.

olllllo said:
I was thinking of a nice way to say that.

LOL In my line of work and the types of problems that I have to deal with I have to do the "hit you with a 2X4" at times to wake them up.

docbee said:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but six(6) beers EVERY night is not good for you.
Why not? Let's see the medical evidence if that's the case.

Your answer sounds like one of the "traditional" answers to me.

My brother is an M.D. and he says that a sixpack a day will not harm anyone's liver at all.

At 6 a night I am afraid that you have gone beyond the enjoyment of the tastes of your hobby to being more interested in the "buzz" associated with the consuming. Let's be honest, after just a couple of beers the taste just doesn't seem to be as a "WOW" factor anymore.
We're all individuals, which means we are all different in every way. It's not a one-size fits all solution to life's pleasures.

Listen to the wife.
Yes. Please do, but let common sense and consideration rule.

And contrary to the title of this thread it is not her problem!!!!
Problem? Doesn't sound like one to me, anyway, unless someone expects it to automatically be one... Right?

This is just my way of thinking. I do not mean to ruffle anyone's feathers, so to speak.:)

drinker:mug:

Cheesefood said:
At 6 homebrews per night, I'm willing to bet her issues are more about your gas and less about your liver. Or is it that she's tired of seeing you waste money on new pants (because you've got to be racking on the pounds).

I probably average 6 beers a day I have dropped 15 pounds in the last year. It's all in what you do. Like was said before, if you're not turning into an a**hole when you drink I don't know what the problem would be.

drinker said:
Why not? Let's see the medical evidence if that's the case.

Your answer sounds like one of the "traditional" answers to me.

My brother is an M.D. and he says that a sixpack a day will not harm anyone's liver at all.

We're all individuals, which means we are all different in every way. It's not a one-size fits all solution to life's pleasures.

Yes. Please do, but let common sense and consideration rule.

Problem? Doesn't sound like one to me, anyway, unless someone expects it to automatically be one... Right?

This is just my way of thinking. I do not mean to ruffle anyone's feathers, so to speak.:)

drinker:mug:

Your liver is what metabolizes fat and enables you to lose weight. By drinking six beers a night, you're tying it up by forcing it to metabolize the alcohol in your body instead, this decreasing (or stopping completely) carlorie burn during that time (not to mention taking in at least 100 calories/beer).

The effects of drinking go further than just damage from alcohol. :tank:

If the original poster is seriously considering sneaking a drink in the woodshed, that pretty much defines "problem" in my book. Yeah, it's an individual thing, but if the person who is closest to you thinks there might be an issue, well... it's time for an open, honest examination.

docbee said:
Let's be honest, after just a couple of beers the taste just doesn't seem to be as a "WOW" factor anymore. And what is the main reason that we all got started in this hobby...to make great tasting beer!!!!!!

I won't dispute much of what you say. But if you are suggesting that the taste of a homebrew (or any good brew) can't be as enjoyable on the sixth bottle as on the first, I do disagree with that.

There are few occasions when I drink more than four beers in an evening between getting home from work and going to bed, but I often drink more than six beers on a whole day when I'm off work. I don't notice any difference in my ability to appreciate the taste whether it is my first beer at 10:00 AM on a Saturday (e.g. breakfast), or the last one at 11:00 PM at night.

brewer06 said:

Bottle in 16 ounce bottles (16.9 or 500ml) instead of 12 ounce bottles. Cut back from a sixer to only four. :D

Or for a real sacrifice, bottle in 22 ounce bottles and only have three.

Evan! said:
Or, here's another idea: instead of bottling your homebrew, keg it. That way, it's more difficult for her to keep tabs on how much you've drank. ..

Works for me also. Then you can tell her that the glass you drink from ( that she must never touch) don't hold a full 12 oz of brew and that you can drink more of them and still not add up to the 6 you previously used to drink. lol.

Bring her over here we'll get my SWMBO to train her. She's figured out that if she keeps up I don't become annoying....

beer4breakfast said:
Bottle in 16 ounce bottles (16.9 or 500ml) instead of 12 ounce bottles. Cut back from a sixer to only four. :D

Or for a real sacrifice, bottle in 22 ounce bottles and only have three.

I drink out of 330ml bottles most of the time and I enjoy the taste otherwise i would not drink as many maybe I should also point out the fact thaT when a guest comes to visit the miss's offers them a home brew as well as me when I accept I cope it when the guest leaves whether it be my old man or some 1 else
I dont like the fact that she could give away my home brew and go made when I want 1 so I have 8 cases/cartoons 24/375mls left to go and I am not attempting to make any more till they r gone so I can come clean and steady my drinkin but while its their I'll drink it cause it's nice taste.

I also have a 3 yr old how hates my brew but loves to get her dad a beer from the fridge in dads bar:mug:

Do you have a beer gut yet? If not, your ok. If so, trade her in for a trailer trash queen with a beer gut too, then you can both drink alot.:rockin:

Back