IIPA Update + Gelatin Q.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rph33

Reaction score
I'm 1 week into the Secondary of my Imperial IPA. When I transfered to secondary, I added 4 ounces of Saaz hops, because I wanted some pine and earth flavor.... I know Saaz is a very weird choice....

... but let me say that this badboy has one of the best and THE most unique of aromas of any IPA I have EVER smelled. It's like a pine tree that has bloomed with heavenly orange-blossoms and is laden with succulent, juicy pears and grapefruit. Piney without being abrasive, and the grapefruit smell from Cascades has rounded out after the Saaz additions, and due to the Burton Ale yast, it really smells juicier than normal, very floral / orange / grapefruit. I think the juiciness is accented by the pear character of the Burton Ale Yeast.

The taste is also very unique; kick of huge bitter up front with a long dose of grapefruit, and ending with something that I can't quite determine.. it's got a soft ending. Not as harsh as it was in primary. I CANNOT WAIT until it is bottled! I'll take some pics of it in the glass when it's ready. :D

Now my question: should I use some gelatin in the last 2 days of secondary before bottling to further clear the beer? There is a lot of hop debris in it.

Here's the recipe in case anyone was interested (yes, it has 6 different types of hops, and yes, I know that the Kents and Hallertaus are largely pointless as their character probably doesn't come through all of the other hops):

"BIG SLAMMU IMPERIAL IPA" by Brewdimus Prime Beers®

Grain Bill:
8# Extra Pale DME (1# @ 90 min. / 1# @ 60 min. / 6# @ 15 min.)
1/2# English Pale Ale Malt (30 min. @ 155 degrees)
1/2# Carapils (30 min. @ 155 degrees)
1/4# Crystal 40L (30 min. @ 155 degrees)
1/4# Crystal 10L (30 min. @ 155 degrees)

Hop Schedule:
2 oz. Centennial 90 min. = 66.2 IBU
1 oz. Amarillo 75 min. = 33.6 IBU (One of my favorite hops)
1/2 oz. Hallertau 60 min. = 7.0 IBU (I know this is a lager hop, but what the hell)
1/2 oz. Kent 35 min. = 6.1 IBU (I dunno)
1/2 oz. Amarillo 15 min. = 4.4 IBU
1 oz. Cascade 10 min. = 4.6 IBU (Citrus)
1 oz. Cascade 1 min. = 3.8 IBU
1 oz. Hallertau FLAMEOUT = ~2 IBU (Want some spice in this *****)
= Approximately 128 IBUs

Dry Hopping Schedule:

2 oz. Cascade in Primary (Day 6 - 10)
4 oz. Saaz in Secondary (Day 10 - 20)

Other things:
1/2 tsp. Gypsum @ 90 min. (I'm scared of the stuff so I didn't wanna' overdo it)
1 tsp. Ultramoss @ 20 min.

Yeast:
WLP 023 BURTON ALE YEAST

OG: 1.072
FG: 1.019 (so far)
6.9% ABV (~7.5% ABV post-bottling)

Your hops are all over the place... But they intrigue me :)

Very interesting recipe. I'd be curious how it turns out when all is said and done :)

Yeah, I know I should probably streamline the recipe, cutting out the Hallertau and Kent. I used 'em just cos I had 'em. But I figure they won't add / detract much, so the real character will come from Centennial, Cascade, Amarillo, and Saaz.

Gelatin will help you drop out protein and yeast, but I don't know how much impact it'll have on dropping any of the hop particles.

Yes please add gelatin. It'll take out all the harsh bittering and tannins you surly put in with the over the top hops.

Crazy hop soup you're making there! ....sounds good.

I dry hop buy wrapping the pellets in cheese cloth and hanging it the secondary by a peice of santitized thread. Works just fine and no excess of particles to clear.
DK

Normally I would say don't cross the streams and keep all your hops within the same hop family, however the eloquence of your description has peaked my interest in how this will turn out. Let us know!

Back