New Zealand Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled my Simcoe/Vienna smash last night. Think this will be pretty good.
Also bottled my light centennial blonde, dry hopped with a little Simcoe. 3.1%, bit higher than I wanted.

Fermenters are now all empty so I might get going with the craftbrewing Epic clone.

I haven't had a close look at the craftbrewing kit. I assume it the same malt bill as the CYBI recipe, withthe hops etc.?

On a separate note, I have a stuck fermentation!!!!!!!! FFS sitting at 1.028 I've tried shaking and repitching. increased temperature etc.

Next step, is a sugar addition, but I don't want ot so harsh. tempted with belgian candi sugar?? make it myself?!

crusader1612 said:
I haven't had a close look at the craftbrewing kit. I assume it the same malt bill as the CYBI recipe, with the hops etc.?
Yeah pretty much CYBI, which I think is based on that podcast with Luke Nicholas.
Boiling now. Lotsa hops!

Good luck getting unstuck.

crusader1612 said:
I haven't had a close look at the craftbrewing kit. I assume it the same malt bill as the CYBI recipe, withthe hops etc.?

On a separate note, I have a stuck fermentation!!!!!!!! FFS sitting at 1.028 I've tried shaking and repitching. increased temperature etc.

Next step, is a sugar addition, but I don't want ot so harsh. tempted with belgian candi sugar?? make it myself?!

Yikes that's high. You may have had a crappy mash and got left with loads of unfermentable sugars

If repitching yeast didn't achieve anything, that would be my guess.

You could cool it a bit and try a lager yeast. Lager yeast can eat through more complex sugars.

If it were me, I'd pitch some Brett C and leave it for a couple of months then dry hop. But I've been all about the wild yeast and bugs lately.

If it were me, I'd pitch some Brett C and leave it for a couple of months then dry hop. But I've been all about the wild yeast and bugs lately.

In my Smoked Porter?? How would that change the outlay of the beer, and the smokiness, any ideas on how it would taste? I've got hold of some WLP090, I might be able to pitch that and see what happens, after racking to secondary. Then if its still no good I might give you Brett job a go. I'm just wondering what it would taste like??

erm.... I dont think it would be the best candidate. The bugs will leave very little in the beer. Will bone dry when they are done.

I dont think the roasted malts would be agreeable in a beer like that.

What bugs were you thinking of using? If you want to do a sour beer i'm maybe look at doing a flanders brown. Or maybe something a long the lines of the 8 wired grand cru

basically... if you are going to tie up a carboy for a year... you dont want to screw around :)

In my Smoked Porter?? How would that change the outlay of the beer, and the smokiness, any ideas on how it would taste? I've got hold of some WLP090, I might be able to pitch that and see what happens, after racking to secondary. Then if its still no good I might give you Brett job a go. I'm just wondering what it would taste like??

thought you were talking about the epic clone. With a smoked porter.... probably not for the reasons i put on the post before.

I'd try the lager yeast though.

erm.... I dont think it would be the best candidate. The bugs will leave very little in the beer. Will bone dry when they are done.

I dont think the roasted malts would be agreeable in a beer like that.

What bugs were you thinking of using? If you want to do a sour beer i'm maybe look at doing a flanders brown. Or maybe something a long the lines of the 8 wired grand cru

basically... if you are going to tie up a carboy for a year... you dont want to screw around :)

Yeah I have no idea, hence the question, but you're right. I wanna do it properly since it will tie up a carboy for 12+ months.

So ya reckon a big stout wouldn't be ideal to sour/bug?

Yeah I have no idea, hence the question, but you're right. I wanna do it properly since it will tie up a carboy for 12+ months.

So ya reckon a big stout wouldn't be ideal to sour/bug?

I havent tried it, but i dont think it would work. Would steer clear of hoppy and roasty when souring. hoppy can be done with brett. Stll dont think roasty would be a good idea, but someone might have done it

I havent tried it, but i dont think it would work. Would steer clear of hoppy and roasty when souring. hoppy can be done with brett. Stll dont think roasty would be a good idea, but someone might have done it

Well I needn't worry about this beer anymore, picked up a starter from a fellow brewer of WLP090, came home to rack over, and found a nice white film on top of the smoked porter. Result: INFECTION.
I think base on what I've read is because it didnt ferment properly, the yeast either died or went to sleep, and subsequently when pitchign new yeast, whats happend is the unclean cloth has bugs in it, and they took hold no yeasties or enough alcohol to keep thge white stuff at bay..... I'm pissed off, but nevermind live and learn.

Well I needn't worry about this beer anymore, picked up a starter from a fellow brewer of WLP090, came home to rack over, and found a nice white film on top of the smoked porter. Result: INFECTION.
I think base on what I've read is because it didnt ferment properly, the yeast either died or went to sleep, and subsequently when pitchign new yeast, whats happend is the unclean cloth has bugs in it, and they took hold no yeasties or enough alcohol to keep thge white stuff at bay..... I'm pissed off, but nevermind live and learn.

Aw bummer. Saw the pic on realbeer. It happens to the best of us. Had a couple over the past few years.

My garage is a freakin bug zoo right now too. I dont think it would take much to get an infection.

When i leave a hydro sample out, its got krausen the next day. Nuts!

I have the two flanders browns and a flanders red, and a brett saison at the mo. Will be doing a gose soon with sour mash. I will then do an attempt at a quick flanders brown by doing a sour mash and then fermenting with brett lambicus (already have the wyeast pack in my fridge). I may or may not then add it to black berries. Maybe half...

I also have a vial of brett claussenii and brett trois that i want to try out in some IPA's... I think... or something else. Still figuring that out.

Oh and I want to have a go at doing a lambic too....

So...kinda obsessed with wild yeast/bugs right now.

Aw bummer. Saw the pic on realbeer. It happens to the best of us. Had a couple over the past few years.

My garage is a freakin bug zoo right now too. I dont think it would take much to get an infection.

When i leave a hydro sample out, its got krausen the next day. Nuts!

I have the two flanders browns and a flanders red, and a brett saison at the mo. Will be doing a gose soon with sour mash. I will then do an attempt at a quick flanders brown by doing a sour mash and then fermenting with brett lambicus (already have the wyeast pack in my fridge). I may or may not then add it to black berries. Maybe half...

I also have a vial of brett claussenii and brett trois that i want to try out in some IPA's... I think... or something else. Still figuring that out.

Oh and I want to have a go at doing a lambic too....

So...kinda obsessed with wild yeast/bugs right now.

Haha, Obsession might be a kind way of putting it :D lol. just messing. sounds like you really on a sour buzz right now, had the 8wired one at the tasting, I'm still not ure about the whole sour thing.
There a local como here in christchurch, and I was real hopeful.

I have a bottle of the 8 wired grand cru in the fridge right now. I am hopeful that its a good one

Had some of Mike's Stawberry sour last night. Decent. Also quite like Hallertaur's funkonnay.

Glad nz brewers are getting on board.

Also have some rodenbach grand cru (so freaking good!), Duchesse (yum!), and a Liefmans Cuvee Brut (I want it in my mouth now!)

I have yet to have an NZ one that compares to the ones above.

Hi all, some of you may remember my first attempt at brewing; an AG Epic Pale Ale Clone that didn't go that well. After leaving it in the bottle for five months it was as flat as a lizard, sweet to taste and a distant mutant cousin of an Epic PA in flavour. Undeterred, and indeed buoyed by all the positive feedback from this forum I did another batch, this time taking the precaution of following the recipe!
After sending the first batch into the garden it was with trepidation that I popped open a nicely chilled bottle from Batch 2. I was immediately rewarded with a satisfying pfsst (you try spelling that noise). So far, so good ... the gentle pour gave a nice head and beautiful colour, and the first sip was a delight. I am so stoked that I have managed to brew a beer that is remarkably close to the target. Actually, I'm just pleased to brew a beer that tastes so bl**dy good. As soon as the rain comes, and we get some decent water in the tank I'll be having another crack.
Thanks heaps to those of you who saw my early posts, answered my questions without laughing, and encouraged me to keep going. Cheers.

Epic PA Clone.jpg

Hi all, some of you may remember my first attempt at brewing; an AG Epic Pale Ale Clone that didn't go that well. After leaving it in the bottle for five months it was as flat as a lizard, sweet to taste and a distant mutant cousin of an Epic PA in flavour. Undeterred, and indeed buoyed by all the positive feedback from this forum I did another batch, this time taking the precaution of following the recipe!
After sending the first batch into the garden it was with trepidation that I popped open a nicely chilled bottle from Batch 2. I was immediately rewarded with a satisfying pfsst (you try spelling that noise). So far, so good ... the gentle pour gave a nice head and beautiful colour, and the first sip was a delight. I am so stoked that I have managed to brew a beer that is remarkably close to the target. Actually, I'm just pleased to brew a beer that tastes so bl**dy good. As soon as the rain comes, and we get some decent water in the tank I'll be having another crack.
Thanks heaps to those of you who saw my early posts, answered my questions without laughing, and encouraged me to keep going. Cheers.

If I remember rightly, it was an epic clone right? Looks pretty good, how does it taste? to learn more and different beers, I'd recommend trying a different clone recipoe, and do a side by side once its done...\

Well done though.

Good work dude. Never give up aye!
Looks pretty good! :mug:

For this weekend, I've got a NZ IPA on the cards, finally getting round to this.
I'm splitting 4litres off the wort and giving cold steeping a good go. Its gone in this morning, and will sit for about 24hours, to see if i can get a Black IPA colour, with minimal to no flavour contribution. using 50g of carafa II in 4 litres, it will be sparged with a little bit of 80 degree water to remove the additional sugars. and a side by side comparison done. Interesting experiement.

This weekend I will be brewing a gose.

It sounds like a style that when stuffed up will be truly horrible.

We shall see :)

sockmerchant said:
This weekend I will be brewing a gose.

It sounds like a style that when stuffed up will be truly horrible.

We shall see :)
I don't know what that is but it sounds delicious

I've never had a gose...seeing as i dont think any exist in NZ

Gose is a top-fermented beer style of Leipzig, Germany, brewed with at least 50% of the grain bill being malted wheat.

Dominant flavours in Gose include a lemon tartness, a herbal characteristic, and a strong saltiness (the result of either local water sources or added salt). Gose beers typically do not have prominent hop bitterness, flavours, or aroma. The beers typically have a moderate alcohol content of 4 to 5% ABV.

Because of the use of coriander and salt, Gose does not comply with the Reinheitsgebot. It is allowed an exemption on the grounds of being a regional specialty. It acquires its characteristic sourness through inoculation with lactic acid bacteria after the boil.[1]

Gose belongs to the same family of sour wheat beers which were once brewed across Northern Germany and the Low Countries.

I've never had a gose...seeing as i dont think any exist in NZ

Interesting description. How long will it age and ferment for?

Update on my Blog by the way, from yesterdays Brewday, using a couple of new techniques to see what the effects are. cold steeping and Hop tea/hop Percolators
:mug:

Interesting description. How long will it age and ferment for?

Update on my Blog by the way, from yesterdays Brewday, using a couple of new techniques to see what the effects are. cold steeping and Hop tea/hop Percolators
:mug:

I think a month will do the job. Maybe two at most. We shall see.

Ordered all my gear to bust out an IPA. Cascade (US and NZ) with a lil amount of Citra thrown in for good measure. Be a first for the new temp controlled ferm chamber as well! Planning to brew ANZAC Day.

Ordered all my gear to bust out an IPA. Cascade (US and NZ) with a lil amount of Citra thrown in for good measure. Be a first for the new temp controlled ferm chamber as well! Planning to brew ANZAC Day.

Woohoo! Fermentation chamber, well done mate. I'm powering up my brewery this weekend. well I'm running the cables, I'm hoping I can get a brew down as well, Toassing up between a Plan B Clone and Citre IPA...

Woohoo! Fermentation chamber, well done mate. I'm powering up my brewery this weekend. well I'm running the cables, I'm hoping I can get a brew down as well, Toassing up between a Plan B Clone and Citre IPA...

Yeah stoked aye. Be good to get some decent control on the fermentation now!
Not sure what my step is going to be, triple kegs for HLT, Mash Tun and Kettle or just go for kegs instead of bottles....

NZLunchie said:
Yeah stoked aye. Be good to get some decent control on the fermentation now!
Not sure what my step is going to be, triple kegs for HLT, Mash Tun and Kettle or just go for kegs instead of bottles....

That's going to be the key for me too. Most of my swaps comments talk about inconsistent temperature. Powering up the "brewery" will help. But at this stage it's just power cables.

Lunchie you up for a swap?

Brewed my third batch of Blacklabs Cascades / Orange Pale Ale tonight. Actually followed the recipe this time. :D

Got an auto siphon from brewshop this week. Its my new favourite thing! :rockin:

Pkrd said:
Brewed my third batch of Blacklabs Cascades / Orange Pale Ale tonight. Actually followed the recipe this time. :D

Got an auto siphon from brewshop this week. Its my new favourite thing! :rockin:

I take it your a fan of the recipe then? Lol.

At work this afternoon I got an awful message from home; "Explosion in the beer cupboard". :(
Of course my reply was; "I'll get some more on the way home".
8 Wired Sauvin Saison, Yeasty/Liberty NevaRaven, Pink Elephant Rajah black ale, but not the Croucher Patriot I had been looking for.

The "explosion" was a pinhole in the bottom of a coopers PET bottle, right next to the injection point, draining about 500ml from the top shelf to the bottom shelf. It was an amber partial mash that has been in the bottle for two months, the remainder did smell a bit off. I had downed one on wednesday and no indications of anything amiss. I emptied two more that we quite hard and left the last two that still were a little squeezy.
And then I washed the beer off all my beer. Mostly.

After all my hard work I deserved a beer. Black IPA followed by my EPIC clone, fantastic after only six days in the bottle. :mug:

Ffs. It's pissing down which means no power today! Might run The inside wiring.

I'd like to brew... Maybe... Just maybe

My garage makes good for being able tobrew, although the gas isn't the nicest, I've got doors etc. open and I've just mashed in my Back Up Plan (Plan B Clone)
hit temp nicely, wrapped in camping mat and woolen blanket for 1 hours.
It's essentially a blodne ale, with belgian yeast, which i made a starter of 1214 on thursday, I'll most likely pitch the yeast after the game tonight..... go the crusaders!!
Got season tickets so, i'll be watchingthe boys in the rain.

WCIPA is brewed and in its 2nd day in the ferm fridge.
Massive amounts of aroma going on in there.

Check out the Blog for me details on brew day.
Under shot pre-boil and through some adjuncts managed to over shoot SG by a couple of points. Hopefully its ferments out nicely!

2 dry hop additions and then its in the bottle!

What a day! Power cables run undeground and in the shed, along withthe roof space at home, got its own separate switchboard and everything.
Things are really coming together now. Looks like my Plan b Clone isn't going to make the cut..... again. the high mash temp, and poor yeast viability have caused it to poop out at 1.020, so......... I made some golden invert sugar and ill add maybe 100 grams to hopefully get the yeast running, as i pitched over a packet of T-58. I'll probably bottle in little bottles and see how it comes out once its done, its no longer a plan b clone, i think ill remove some of the specialty grains and lower the mash tempo next time, then just use t-58.

Next up, Belgian Red ale, based off Leffe Radieuse, slightly simplified and no candi sugar to bump it up, hoping for a more sessionable 5.5-5.7% abv beer, which I'm hoping will have a beautiful bloosed red colour and very malty back bone from the special B. I have high hopes for that one, got a new 1214 packet, which i got for the plan b emergency, but decided to use it for thius, to get the yeast cake i need for a KWAK clone, a belgian dark/amber strong ale. that will ferment for 2-3 weeks then secondary for maybe another 3 and then "cool" condition for approximately 3 months while I rehabilitate my shoulder.

exciting times ahead for me. the blog says it all and will have photos up soon.

Back