Successful Peanut Butter Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bds3

Reaction score
I just tried my third version of peanut butter stout. Over the last 6 months I've attempted to brew a stout with a good, strong peanut butter flavor, and I started my last batch about 2 months ago. It may (hopefully) still get a bit better with age, but it's already fantastic.

I read a ton of posts here about people struggling with good peanut butter flavor, so I thought I'd share my success recipe:

Extract (with steeping grains)

Steep
8 oz chocolate malt
8 oz roasted barley
4 oz flaked barley
4 oz crystal 40L
Boil
1 oz nugget hops 60 min
7 lbs dark liquid extract
Safale 05
Ferment
2 weeks in primary, rack onto 2 6.5-oz jars of PB2 for one week
Bottle
Rack onto 1 dram Lorann Oils Peanut Butter flavoring (https://www.lorannoils.com/p-8520-peanut-butter-flavor.aspx) in bottling bucket

It's been in the bottle 4 weeks now.

The previous 2 versions were both very good stouts, but they really didn't have much peanut butter character. The deciding factor was the Lorann Oils flavoring.

The first version was really similar to the above recipe without the flavoring, and slightly fewer steeping grains. It was an awesome stout; a couple friends of mine who are beer drinkers (and love the dark stuff) said it was one of the best stouts they had tasted, but the one that didn't know it was a PB stout couldn't pick out the peanut butter. I could, but it 's probably because I knew it was there. It also had some light DME along with the same amount of LME.

The second version I boiled 2 6.5-oz jars plus the 2 in secondary. I also changed the extract to half light/half amber, hoping the malt sweetness might be knocked down a touch allowing the PB to shine through. The PB was more noticeable but the beer itself wasn't as good; the PB still wasn't as much as I wanted and the maltiness being toned down wasn't what I wanted.

Overall the 3rd is pretty much perfect IMO. The dark LME gives complexity and fairly substantial sweetness, which I think might help the peanut butter flavor. The lack of DME (that was in the first) lowers the ABV a little and I think helps the PB shine through. I'm very happy with it; hopefully this can help some other extract brewers looking to do a PB stout or porter.

Very intriguing. Did you not have any problems from the oils? Like a sheen on top of your beer?

What is pb2? Is that a brand of peanut butter?

Did you take gravity readings? I feel like you should end up on the dry side, or maybe just normal 1.01 ish, but maybe the peanut butter has some complex sugars the yeast didn't break down.

dude this sounds absolutely beautiful. let me know how it is

Very intriguing. Did you not have any problems from the oils? Like a sheen on top of your beer?

What is pb2? Is that a brand of peanut butter?

Did you take gravity readings? I feel like you should end up on the dry side, or maybe just normal 1.01 ish, but maybe the peanut butter has some complex sugars the yeast didn't break down.

PB2 is a peanut butter powder, and therefore has something like 85% less fat. The head retention seems ok (I've seen better and I've seen worse); no there's no appreciable sheen.

Gravity was 1.010 after primary and ~1.015 after secondary. There actually seemed to be a little activity based on the airlock after I racked into secondary on the PB2, so I expected it to be drier like you said. Maybe my measurements were somehow off, otherwise I'm not quite sure what explains it.

I was at GABF this year and drank a peanut butter brown ale. I started with the Northern Brewer Clone kit for Surly Bender and did the same thing you did with the PB2 and Lorann Oil and it turned out exceptional.

Interesting that we both wound up with the same process, there might be something to this....

I was thinking of brewing a stout this weekend, but using cocoa nibs in the secondary in conjunction with peanut butter. Do you think that the 16 oz. chocolate/peanut butter powder would be good to use with the nibs?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005DFL4PM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Also, how did you go about sanitizing the peanut butter powder?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking of brewing a stout this weekend, but using cocoa nibs in the secondary in conjunction with peanut butter. Do you think that the 16 oz. chocolate/peanut butter powder would be good to use with the nibs?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005DFL4PM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Also, how did you go about sanitizing the peanut butter powder?

I've read other threads with folks using the chocolate-flavored PB2 with varying results. I personally have not had great success adding actual chocolate (nibs, powder) to my stouts, which is why I just did plain peanut butter, but I have to imagine the chocolate-flavored PB2 will work quite well for an overall well-flavored stout. From what I've read it's difficult to get a "Reese's PB Cup" flavor. I had a hard enough time just getting a peanut butter flavor...

I found out by shear luck--after I'd already planned on brewing with it--that the grocery store a block away from me sells PB2, so you might want to just check and see if yours does.

Keep in mind that if you want the peanut butter to be a pronounced flavor (as I did), you might want to at least consider the Lorann Oils extract in secondary (it's water-based; not an actual oil).

Last edited by a moderator:
And I didn't mean to ignore the other part of your question: I boiled ~10 oz of water, added the 13 oz of PB2 to it, stirred until smooth, and dumped it in.

Did the whole slurry get up to boiling temp? No. Am I maybe slightly reckless with my secondary additions? I guess.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll definitely be adding 2 jars to my 5 gallon batch. There is a gym that sells the PB2 1 mile away from my office. I am not really going for a full on peanut butter cup flavor, I want the chocolate to come out in the front, then have an aftertaste of peanut butter that mingles with the chocolate. I'm thinking about adding the powder straight from the jar to the carboy in hopes that the alcohol will kill any minor nasties that may be lingering in the powder.

I think you've got a pretty good plan for "chocolate up front and an aftertaste of peanut butter." I wasn't too worried that I didn't boil my PB2; I actually think it's probably sterile within the sealed jar so you'll probably be fine.

I judged Specialty beers at the San Diego fair last year and we had a Penut butter stout win the category. I judged it with a brewer at Coronado brewing company, he said he thinks the best way to get a good penut butter taste is to use penut butter captain crunch cereal in the mash.

I judged Specialty beers at the San Diego fair last year and we had a Penut butter stout win the category. I judged it with a brewer at Coronado brewing company, he said he thinks the best way to get a good penut butter taste is to use penut butter captain crunch cereal in the mash.

That's interesting, and didn't even cross my mind. Any specific reason he said that? Like the peanut butter being dried and in a flour-sugar-PB mix in the cereal helped with body and added some fermentables and flavor, or something? I'm just reaching...

Sounds like beavr nuts to me. I brewed a peanut butter jelly stout the other day and agree you need more then just the powder to keep the peanut flavor from fading.

I think you've got a pretty good plan for "chocolate up front and an aftertaste of peanut butter." I wasn't too worried that I didn't boil my PB2; I actually think it's probably sterile within the sealed jar so you'll probably be fine.

Thanks for the input. I plan on brewing a chocolate stout with nibs and cocoa powder, adding a little lactose to sweeten it up a bit, and then adding two jars of the chocolate peanut butter PB2 to the secondary (maybe adding a third jar of regular peanut putter powder also). I don't know if any of you have had Terrapin Brewery's "Liquid Bliss", but this is sort of the peanut profile I am going for.

That's interesting, and didn't even cross my mind. Any specific reason he said that? Like the peanut butter being dried and in a flour-sugar-PB mix in the cereal helped with body and added some fermentables and flavor, or something? I'm just reaching...

I think the idea behind it is the cereal manufactures are using some type of synthetic flavoring, or a flavor stabilizing agent in their manufacturing process that would assist with flavor stability during the boil and fermentation.

Balast point here made a American porter that was dry hoped with captain crunch and lactose called Victory at cereal, This might be another option too, because the cereal out of the box should not need sanitizing and could go straight into the fermenter.

I think the idea behind it is the cereal manufactures are using some type of synthetic flavoring, or a flavor stabilizing agent in their manufacturing process that would assist with flavor stability during the boil and fermentation.

Balast point here made a American porter that was dry hoped with captain crunch and lactose called Victory at cereal, This might be another option too, because the cereal out of the box should not need sanitizing and could go straight into the fermenter.

Now I'm intrigued and want to try a whole bunch of Capn Crunch in with my steeping grains (or mash if I finally go AG like I've been intending) +/- secondary. I don't want ot mess with the PB stout recipe I'm finally happy with, but I'm just too curious. I also have a boatload of PB-ish beer that I need to drink first...

Thanks for the input. I plan on brewing a chocolate stout with nibs and cocoa powder, adding a little lactose to sweeten it up a bit, and then adding two jars of the chocolate peanut butter PB2 to the secondary (maybe adding a third jar of regular peanut putter powder also). I don't know if any of you have had Terrapin Brewery's "Liquid Bliss", but this is sort of the peanut profile I am going for.

Sounds like a great recipe; I think you're right on with the lactose to sweeten up the chocolate, and it may at the same time help the PB shine through a little. Let me know how it turns out.

I brewed this and it turned out terrible. It is bad enough that I cannot drink it. Any ideas on what to do with it before I open and dump 2 cases of bottles? I've thought maybe test a gallon of it with some brett and see how it changes.

reed1911 said:
I brewed this and it turned out terrible. It is bad enough that I cannot drink it. Any ideas on what to do with it before I open and dump 2 cases of bottles? I've thought maybe test a gallon of it with some brett and see how it changes.

Blend with vanilla ice cream and hope fore the best...

Using it to make bread is one of the thoughts as well. But, beer and ice cream just don't go together.

Reed1911 - How does it taste horrible? Does it taste like real peanut butter? Does it taste like fake peanut butter? Is it infected? A version of this has become a house favorite and I'm looking for pointers. Perhaps I could see that a sample makes it your way on the next brew.

I honestly think the loren's PB killed it. It has a great up front flavor, but a real chemical aftertaste that is sweet and cloying. It's not chemical like acetone more like preservative or aspartame aftertaste.

I honestly think the loren's PB killed it. It has a great up front flavor, but a real chemical aftertaste that is sweet and cloying. It's not chemical like acetone more like preservative or aspartame aftertaste.

Man I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe we just like different flavors? Either way, I use my less-than-spectacular beers for cooking, like bread or soups or beer brats, but I definitely wouldn't use an "undrinkable" beer for that, as the flavor still comes through. Best of luck.

Not real sure what is going on with it. I have pretty tolerant taste buds and can drink just about anything. I'll try to brett and see what develops and go from there, Maybe some funk will make it drinkable.

I brewed a peanut butter porter months ago. Actually late last summer. It took 2nd place in the specialty beer category. It had decent head then dissipated a little after. I was surprised how well it turned out. I added the peanut butter extract to the secondary for a week. The peanut butter flavor was there but not extremely strong. It had a great peanut butter scent though. I've been away for the last 8 months now. I have a couple bottles sitting at home. I can't wait to see how they taste now. 2 more days!

OK, so I finally tried this recipe from the OP on the first page. I gave it a taste on bottling day, and was a little worried about how weird it tasted, and hoped that it would improve with carbonation and some time. Today was two weeks later, and it needs a little more time to bottle carb some more, but the taste is very good. It is still pretty weird, hey, it's peanut butter flavored beer for cryin' out loud, but it tastes good and I think will only get better in a few more weeks. Very glad that I gave this a try.

Looking forward to sharing this with my brother, who loves him some peanut butter...
:ban::tank:

So I emptied 8 bottles and added some brett to the mix to see if I could clear that odd taste. Turns out it formed a pellicle. seems my brew was infected hence the taste. Brett won't make the pellicle but pedio will :) I'll let her ride and see what brews.

You guys/girls finally got me to register, I've been lurking for years and stumbled on this post! I actually brewed the stout Bsquared is talking about with a friend. I provided the recipe, he chose the yeast and cereal and we brewed it on his equipment. Felt pretty awesome to snag that blue ribbon at the fair!

Recipe below:

5 gallons All Grain

Grain
17 lbs 2-row
12 oz US Chocolate
10 oz Roasted barley
8 oz Black Malt
1 lb Crystal 80
8 oz Victory

Hops
2 oz Clusters 7.6% @ 60 min
.5 oz Centennial 10.3% @ 45 min
.5 oz Northern brewer 9.6% @ 45 min
1 oz Liberty 4.3% @ 2 min

Yeast used was WLP022 Essex Ale (Platinum Strain)

I didn't keep very good notes on the mash temp but I believe it was 149-150 for 60 mins and I believe the boil was 60 min.

After 14 days in the primary it was racked to secondary and an entire box of peanut butter toast crunch was added and left to sit for 5 days. After sampling the beer we weren't happy with the peanut butter flavor so we added an entire box of Reeses peanut butter cup cereal for another 5 days which did the trick.

The funny thing is that I've had people taste this beer and tell me they get absolutely no peanut butter flavor from it while others love it and can definitely taste it.

I brewed it again this weekend but added 2 lbs of flaked oats and I used WLP001 CA Ale yeast since Essex isn't available. I'll post how it came out in a month or so when it's ready.

TheCorporation,

Glad to hear you had success with this strategy! I've been wanting to try it for a long time now, but I'm working on a few other recipes and have not had a chance to try it. I might have to try and move this one it to the rotation sooner than later.

I got the idea from Alex Tweet at Modern Times formerly of Ballast Point, the guy who did the Victory at Cereal with Captain Crunch. Picked his brain about the process and went for it.

Funny thing is that I found out about Coronado doing their peanut butter stout from one of their reps. He was talking about it to someone at Stone and I overheard so I introduced myself and told him about my beer. I didn't realize that one of the guys from Coronado actually judged my beer, pretty damn cool. Hopefully it was an inspiration for theirs which sadly I never got to try.

I have to tell you, that was an awesome beer, I did not judge it, but got to taste it after the mini best of show. The brewer from coronado is Ryan, he judges a lot of home brew contests and is a really cool guy, and brews at there Knoxville location. Modern times is doing some awesome stuff, really excited to see what comes out of there brewery in the next few years. Exciting times here in SD.

TheCorp,

Any attempt to sanitize the cereal? Not sure how you would do that without turning it into mush. Maybe bake in the oven, low and slow.

TheCorp,

Any attempt to sanitize the cereal? Not sure how you would do that without turning it into mush. Maybe bake in the oven, low and slow.

No, I didn't bother with trying to sanitize it all though I'd imagine that the vodka would taste delicious since all the sugar (if that's really what it is) would dissolve into it rather quickly. Problem is that you'd need a lot of vodka to sanitize an entire box of cereal.

You would also be surprised about your assumption that it would turn to mush, it likely would survive a just fine with a good vodka soak. After 5-7 days in the secondary and a serious cold crash the round puffs still had their shape and were floating at the top of the beer. Kinda makes you wonder WTF we put in our bodies as kids. I'm convinced that the stuff is 100% man made and no kind of infection would waste it's time on it, it's likely sterile inside the box or close to it.

Latest posts

Back