Need some technical help on this attached recipe (Deuchars IPA clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobbyfunkhouse

Reaction score
Dear all,

I am quite new to home-brewing and need some help with this attached recipe of a Deuchars clone that 'Jcole' kindly posted on the forum 5 years ago.

I am following his recipe, but am a little confused with the terminology used in some parts of it, highlighted in green, and was wondering if someone could help me understand what these points exactly mean?

The main questions are:

1 - A batch spare question (highlight 1).
2- Why the introduction of malt extract at boil phase
3- The introduction and timing of hops during the boil, namely why the last two hps on the list have 0 mins next to them?

If anyone could help than I would be most appreciative.

Kind Regards

Marc

question.jpg

1. A batch sparge is a type of sparging method used to extract remaining sugars from the grains following your initial runnings. Another common method is fly sparging. Check out the sticky on all grain brewing or John Palmers 'How to Brew' for more details on sparging.
2. Malt extract is used in this recipe because it is a partial mash. That's why the recipe says "Partial Mash" at the top next to "Brew Type". A partial mash is sort of a mixture of extract brewing and all grain brewing. Some grains are mashed to obtain fermentable sugars and some extract is used to obtain the remainder of sugars called out for in the recipe. If this was an all grain recipe, there would be no extract used but the grain bill would be larger.
3. The last two hop additions say 0 min because they are added at flame-out (just as you end the boil). They add virtually no bitterness but instead mostly hop aroma/flavor.

Thank you ever so much for your reply, very helpful, I worded my first question incorrectly in retrospect. I read quite a lot of reading about the batch sparge process this afternoon, and am probably getting confused with the way he wrote it, I assume the volumes of liquid he is talking about in the first highlighted block are the mash liquid rather than 5 gallons of fresh water in two stages?

Thanks again

Marc

Thank you ever so much for your reply, very helpful, I worded my first question incorrectly in retrospect. I read quite a lot of reading about the batch sparge process this afternoon, and am probably getting confused with the way he wrote it, I assume the volumes of liquid he is talking about in the first highlighted block are the mash liquid rather than 5 gallons of fresh water in two stages?

Thanks again

Marc

Not exactly sure what your asking. If, by "mash liquid", you mean the extracted wort from your first runnings? Then the answer is no. That's not what is meant in the recipe. You will be using 5 gallons of fresh water split into two stages for your batch sparge. Here's how it should go:

Mash your 5.94 quarts of fresh water (about 1.5 gallons) for an hour.
Collect your first runnings (I won't get into how that is done).
Add 2.63 gallons of fresh water and collect more runnings.
Add 2.47 gallons of fresh water and collect more runnings again.

Each of the individual runnings collected go into the brew pot. The runnings from your batch sparges will be significantly lighter in color than the runnings from your original mash. Add fresh water to the brew pot (if necessary) to reach 6 gallons in the pot for the boil and continue with the recipe.

Remember, you lose some water during mashing and sparging as the grains soak it in. A general rule of thumb, you mash with 1.25 to 1.5 quarts per pound of grain and sparge with .5 gallons per pound of grain.

RuffRider,

Thanks again for your help, this makes a lot more sense now, I watched the John Palmer video on yt and got a good understanding of the batch sparge process. The only remaining question I have is can this all be done with BIAB method, meaning, can I leave my grist in the nylon brew bag after mashing and let it settle into a filter bed at the base of the kettle and then run off into boil container, then add sparge 1, stir and run off, and then add sparge 2, stir and run off?

Cheers

Marc

RuffRider,

Thanks again for your help, this makes a lot more sense now, I watched the John Palmer video on yt and got a good understanding of the batch sparge process. The only remaining question I have is can this all be done with BIAB method, meaning, can I leave my grist in the nylon brew bag after mashing and let it settle into a filter bed at the base of the kettle and then run off into boil container, then add sparge 1, stir and run off, and then add sparge 2, stir and run off?

Cheers

Marc

I confess that I have never tried the BIAB method as I have a Mash/Lauter Tun. However, I don't see why what you're trying wouldn't work. BIAB is just the method of executing a "mash" or "sparge". Check out this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

I think it will really help to get you going in the right direction with what you want to do.

Good luck! Cheers! :mug:

Back