Floating stuff in bottle!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mothefoe1080

Reaction score
Hi i just bottled my beer 2 days ago.. some in plastic PET bottles and 2 in glass bottles.. i sanitized everything and i just checked my bottles today and noticed these floating masses that wont settle.. the yeast is all at the bottom. I hope this is not mold or anything like that.. also it is not in all bottle. PLEASE HELP!

I'm sure it's just some more yeast waiting to fall to the bottom. Let these bottles sit for a few more weeks at 70F and then try some out. If they are carbed well, you can throw them in the fridge and that should take care of any "blobs" in the bottles. A picture or two of what you're looking at would also help.

It's just yeast floating around, you may have even had a bottle krausen forming. Carbonation is really just a mini fermentation in a tiny carboy, so it can be just as active as what you would see in a 5 gallon carboy.

Just relax, quit staring at your bottles, most of us just leave them in a dark closet for the three weeks minimum it takes usually to carb.

Everything will settle down eventually.

I discuss the carb/conditioning process in this blog...
Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.

:mug:

lets say that it is mold? is it safe to drink? can i filter out these floaties?

It's not mold....you're worrying for nothing.

o and one more question.. is a week of carbination enough?

Did you happen to read the blog I linked to in my first post? It covers that and more. There's even a nifty video.

Back