Please help me pronounce diacetyl

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerAg

Reaction score
Die - ass - it - tull?

Die - ass - it - till?

Die - see - till?

Die - a - see - till?

Please help.

Diacetyl:

Pronunciation: dī-as′ĕ-til, dī-as′ĕ-tăl

A yellow liquid, (CH3CO)2, having the pungent odor of quinone and carrying the aromas of coffee, vinegar, butter, and other foods; a byproduct of carbohydrate degradation.

I've had several organic chemistry, and biochemistry professors over the years. In my part of the country, it is mostly pronounced dī-as′ĕ-tăl. BUT, it is frequently pronounced Die - a - see - tull. I think the former rolls off the tongue more easily than the latter.

Technically, both are correct.

I was once told Di-ASS-e-til is the substance, Di-A-Cee-Til is the quality.

As in "I skipped the Di-ASS-e-til rest, so my beer has a pronounced Di-A-Cee-Til taste."

One word I apparently was mis-pronouncing is Willamette. I went to a 'beer bar' and the bartender seemed to be pretty well informed and told me it's easy to remember how to pronounce it; It's Will-ammit, dammit. Say it so they rhyme. I was saying it like a french word.

One word I apparently was mis-pronouncing is Willamette. I went to a 'beer bar' and the bartender seemed to be pretty well informed and told me it's easy to remember how to pronounce it; It's Will-ammit, dammit. Say it so they rhyme. I was saying it like a french word.

I was on a business trip to Portland many, many years ago and mispronounced Willamette. A (local) guy I was working with corrected me and said if I said that in a bar they would know I was not a local.

Most people who are not from the PNW mispronounce Willamette from just reading it. It's a valley and river in Oregon so growing up there we used to get tourists asking where the will-a-met-ee river was. But yes, it should rhyme with dammit.

Lou-ee-vill would be correct. Ain’t sher how the KY folkasay’n it.
I had a coworker from there, he said LOO-uh-vul
(loo rhyming with few)

He laughed when I pronounced with the long e in the middle, like Louisiana. That is certainly not how a local says it.

Back