Spent Grain Crackers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwarven_stout

Reaction score
Here's a recipe for wheat thin-esque crackers to go with the cheese everyone is making in their boil kettles ;) :

1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup spent grain
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp sugar or honey
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp salt

1) Pulse the wet spent grain in a food processor for 30 seconds or until finely chopped.
2) Mix together all ingredients.
3) Turn out onto floured surface and knead until dough is smooth and shiny, not sticky. Add water or flour as needed.
4) Let rest at room temperature for at least 20m and as long as overnight.
5) Roll out dough to desired thickness (I go around 1/8 inch) and cut into crackers
6) Bake for 20-25m at 300 degrees until golden brown and crisp. Leave on cookie sheet to cool- crackers will continue to crisp up there.

Makes ~3dozen

Couple things:
I haven't tried LME instead of honey, but I don't see any reason it wouldn't work.
If you want toppings on your crackers, you can egg-wash them before baking and top with sesame seeds, whole spent grain or other seeds. For toppings like salt, pepper, cinnamon sugar, spray the crackers with a quick shot of oil (Pam will work) right out of the oven and sprinkle.

Recipe modified and adapted to spent grain from Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Breads: New Techniques, Extraordinary Flavor

Here's a few pics of the process:

IMG_2819.JPG

IMG_2836.JPG

IMG_2856.JPG

IMG_2870.JPG

IMG_2876.JPG

this sounds great!! I mean we have had bread AND dog biscuits as well as pretzels from spent yeast recipes on here....this is, iirc the first cracker...and it sounds great!!!!!!!

Yeah, they come out really well. They're thin enough that the heat of the oven toasts the grain, too.

I have a pack of spent grain I've been holding in the freezer to try out on something new. I will give these a shot this week and post some pics. Thanks for the recipe! :mug:

SWMBO used a couple cups of grain and made an incredible rye-ish bread yesterday..

I'll have to get her recipe somehow..

This sounds good. I've never made crackers before but sounds like fun. I only have a small food processor but I think 1 cup should fit in there.

I've got a few cups of grains in the fridge from my brew yesterday. If I end up doing this today I'll take some pics

I'll post some pics when I can, too. I let my little sister take my camera to France with her, so it'll be a few weeks. ;)

That bread looks amazing!

I find that the crackers disappear long before they stale. :p
I keep mine in a tupperware. If they soften up and get the stale taste I'd just pop them back in the oven for 10m at 300 and they should crisp right back up.

SANY0149.jpg

Mine I made today, a bit thicker so took twice the cooking time.

Edit: some still are not done so threw them back in.

I'm making a double batch right now. They are resting now. I had to add quite a bit more flour to get them where they should be. I'd guess its due to the liquid content of my grains.

I'll take some pics when they are done and post them sometime soon.

Made these again tonight, and I tried something that cut my total time in close to half.

I rolled out the dough to 1/2 inch or so, cut it into quarters, and rolled each quarter out to 1/8 inch. I then put the whole sheet of dough on the cookie tray and popped it in the oven for 5 minutes or so while I rolled out more dough. I took the "parbaked" sheet and sliced it up with a pizza cutter to the desired size, and tipped the cutting board up to slide the crackers back onto the sheet to go into the oven and crisp up.

It's much easier to cut partially cooked dough than it is the raw stuff. Saved me tons of time.

Back