Do I need a dual CO2 regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghart999

Reaction score
Just ordered all my equipment for kegging. I keep reading that is really good to be able to charge a newly filed keg at a higher pressure than the rest of the kegs are at. Hence I assume a dual pressure reg is needed. Yet I don't seem to recall many people having a dual.

Thoughts?

I dont have the Dual Regulator and I wish I did, I am going to have to un hook the gas to my second keg when Im ready to force carb the new keg. I dont want to hit my already carbed keg with 30 psi, but the other Alt is not to force carb. I think if you let the keg sit at serving psi it will take a lot longer but you wont have to unhook the other keg but if your like me you wont have the patience.

It's nice, but not critical. My setup, I've got a pair of single regulators to do the same function, but honestly I haven't bothered to set them at different pressures. If you're serving something like an English ale that really wants to be at a lower pressure than your IPA, it's a real nice functionality to have, but it's not going to keep you from enjoying your beer, you know?

Alright makes sense. The cost diff between the 2 is only $30. I might as well do it in case I want it down the road.

Thanks all

Also if you ever plan to have soda on tap (good for the non-beer drinkers and kiddos) you can use the other regulator set at 30 all the time for the soda.

I usually don't serve at different pressures either. The biggest benefit of a dual body regulator is having the ability to force carb one keg at 30-35 psi while still having another keg at serving pressure.

ghart999 said:
Alright makes sense. The cost diff between the 2 is only $30. I might as well do it in case I want it down the road.

Thanks all
I went with the dual regulator. It's a nice optioin to have since I will only have 2 kegs going at the same time.

Yah if you want to get it done and over with pick up the dual regualtor youll thank yourself later. Ive only had mine for a week now and Im already glad I went with it.

The only pain I see is having to run two lines from the tank into the fridge.

I struggled with this too when I set up. Finally decided to go with a single dual guage primary and planned on getting an inline secondary later.

Have yet to find the desire to carb at multiple pressures but do plan on making some soda later when the boy is older. IIRC, in another thread you have a 3 year old. That may be something for you to consider too.

I use a single regulator. The kegs will carb in a week at serving pressure in your kegerator. It was said above "it depends on your patience".

Cheers:mug:

Blender said:
I went with the dual regulator. It's a nice optioin to have since I will only have 2 kegs going at the same time.

I once thought that too.

I now have a converted CHest freezer with 5 kegs ( and a 5 head regulator) I also have my smaller 10lb CO2 tank, and I am getting another 3 regulators for that so that I can force carb my other kegs that are not in the kegerator.

goto www.sciplus.com and look for co2 regulator. they are like 3 or 4 bucks a piece, then goto kegkits.com and get some replacement gauges for 4 or 5 bucks a piece, and hook em all up together. multiple regulator system for $10 a regulator (or pretty darn close to that number).

Kilroy

kilroy said:
I once thought that too.

I now have a converted CHest freezer with 5 kegs ( and a 5 head regulator) I also have my smaller 10lb CO2 tank, and I am getting another 3 regulators for that so that I can force carb my other kegs that are not in the kegerator.

goto www.sciplus.com and look for co2 regulator. they are like 3 or 4 bucks a piece, then goto kegkits.com and get some replacement gauges for 4 or 5 bucks a piece, and hook em all up together. multiple regulator system for $10 a regulator (or pretty darn close to that number).

Kilroy

Great idea. Thanks for the tip.

Latest posts

Back