Would it Hurt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigjack68

Reaction score
Hi folks need some advice here...

I made some of Edworts apfelwein but I got a little overzealous putting the sugar in.
I have a 5 gal better bottle where I put in 4 gallons of straight from the orchard apple cider and about 4lbs of sugar. This was about a month ago. Fermentation is still going on. I get about 5 good bubbles a minute. I was wondering if It would be ok to add some more cider to the mix. I have room for about 1/2 a gallon more...

Thanks in advance for any advice...

I usually top off the carboy with more fresh cider when I rack to the secondary. Fermentation will pick up again fermenting off the sugar added by the fresh juice.

You could just add more now, but you're going to loose some headroom racking anyway, so just wait till fermentation has slowed to null (maybe a couple more weeks) and rack and top off.

Either way, it'll be fine if you add more.

Well I sampled my mix. It tastes like apple pie filling with a major alcohol hit... should I add more cider???

Back