Show me your mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scorpien222

Reaction score
I am currently considering moving to all grain brewing and have been looking at mash tuns and I am going to sound stingy but they are quite expensive.
I was wondering what makeshift ones people have made and what efficiency you get from them:) pics would be appreciated

48 Qt Igloo

image-1461472785.jpg

Cooler ~$18
1/2" Copper pipe/fittings ~$10
1/2" Ball valve & fittings ~$20

Total time to build ~ 4-5 hrs

USMCBrewer said:
48 Qt Igloo

Cooler ~$18
1/2" Copper pipe/fittings ~$10
1/2" Ball valve & fittings ~$20

Total time to build ~ 4-5 hrs

Looks pretty good :)

I was thinking about trying to use one of there and just wrap some insulation round it.

image-654496440.jpg

image-2670184082.jpg

Coleman Xtreme 70 qt - $30 on sale
Stainless valve and fittings - a lot...haha you can go with brass to save a lot of money.
1/2" Stainless Braid - $10. You can get a smaller diameter, shorter one that will work for less.

I got my cooler at Goodwill for 5.99. I think the whole set up cost me well under $50 but I cant remember how much I paid for the copper piping. Gotta admit that cutting the slots with a dremel was a pain.

mashtun.jpg

$30 48qt from walmart.com, and I had all the copper/fittings. Used a drillpress for the manifold, which can be taken apart for cleaning. Temp probe is useless as its reading 20deg low.

image-3537401152.jpg

image-47387637.jpg

image-3201970573.jpg

scorpien222 said:
Looks pretty good :)

Thank you sir. I'm a very new brewer, and am going to be doing my first AG batch this weekend. Can't wait to try it all out!

USMCBrewer said:
Thank you sir. I'm a very new brewer, and am going to be doing my first AG batch this weekend. Can't wait to try it all out!

Good luck hope it all goes well I am wanting to move to AG very soon. :)

USMCBrewer said:

Hope it all goes well I am wanting to move to AG very soon :)

Here is my Mash Tun. All stainless Steele to include the bulkhead etc..

image-1051775514.jpg

I can't post a picture right now, but I took a sanke, removed the spear, cut the bottom out and flipped it over, a valve with a 2 inch tri-clover will attach to the ferrule that the spear came out of. Put a false bottom in and wrapped it with reflex insulation. Now I have an all stainless 15.5 gallon mash tun with no deadspace, that only loses .5 degrees over an hour

You know you're a homebrewer when "show me yours and I'll show you mine" is talking about your Mash Lauder Tun.

the cost was the cooler and supply line, everything else I had, The stand will hold it at 45 degrees solid as a rock. Please ignore the ugly welds, I was in the dark and ran out of gas.

P1030212.jpg

P1030213.jpg

I like the keg mashtun. It holds a lot, easy to sanitize, will never taste like plastic, you can heat if directly during the mash if needed and it can be used as a boil kettle too. See photo for creating false bottom from the cut-out top. There is a stainless scrubber that acts as a filter around the dip tube, which is attached to a ball valve by compression fitting. Parts list- Used keg $50, ball valve and adapter parts (brass) $29. Lid- pyrex, from thrift store- $1. Scrubber 69 cents. I used a metal cutting blade on a grinder to cut the hole in the top and matched a lid for the diameter. I cut about a 10" hole. The metal cutting bit for the valve is just a metal cutting 7/8" hole saw on a mandrill (cost $8). My boil kettle is another keg. On that I just use a racking cane to transfer the beer into carboys for fermenting. It works fine but some people like to add a valve on the boil kettle too.

False bot.jpg

Back