Gusher!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mostly_Norwegian

Reaction score
Cracked open a valuable learning experience as that first beer of the day. Watch that trub at the end of your bottling.
:(
As you were.

If you are thinking trub in the bottle causes gushers, you're wrong. Some of the causes of gushers are bottling before fermentation has finished, excessive amout of priming sugar, or infection. Trub in the bottle only means you shouldn't pour the entire bottle contents into your glass.

if he got trub in it from the bottom of the bottlng bucket, it could have unstirred sugar in there that caused the gusher. At least that is what Im claiming on mine that just happened to me.

My mind goes straight into the gutter when I see that term used. :drunk:

A gusher could be from a couple things. Bottling too soon, too much priming sugar, or an infection. If the rest of the bottles do not exibit the same issue or show signs of over carbing then you likely may have had a sanitation issue with a single bottle.

You can also get a gusher from not giving your bottled beer sufficient time (3-4 weeks) at 70*F (longer if it's cooler) to carbonate and for the CO2 pressure to equalize with the amount of CO2 in solution.

As I sadly learned, wild yeasts/bacteria can cause gushers. Ruined my best batch of beer this way.

Trub does NOT cause gushers.

Bottling too early is not in the prospects. Opened to early, or just shouldn't have bottled it period are my hunches.
We dry hopped at two weeks, and it was basically flat in the fermenter and bottled just over a month out from brew day. I've had several others from the same batch (a brewers best falconers extra ipa with two dry hop additions) and this was the only one with this amount of carbing. The rest have opened fine, and poured fine. I, being excitable, had one at 5 days into the condition cycle and while a bit young tasting, was fine for carbonation.
Specifically, this was an end of the batch bottling and we had maybe two like this that picked up a ton of sediment from the trub that got carried over from the fermenter. This ipa batch has yeast caked quite nicely, and this one was a thick cake but it was also entirely opaque when held up whereas the rest are pretty much transparent with a white puck base. Kinda doubt it was from excess sugars left on the bottom that weren't stirred cos we liquify and pour it in before we rack for bottling. Could be a lone infection that got overlooked, but I'm rather doubtful of that because I lean towards being overly clean and washed them as well as processed the entire batch in the dishwasher on a disinfect cycle and the bottle caps are in a bowl with sanitizer. Their conditioned at about 60 - 65, and I chilled this before attempting to pour it.
I can only think there was too much yeast in the bottle and the sugar made it start to party again and this should been parked well and away from prying hands or never bottled to begin with.

Back