Beer in CO2 line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtbr226

Reaction score
Greetings...
I'm new to kegging... actually just kegged my first batch. Went to force carbonate it and when I finished I noticed beer in the air hose. The videos I've watched and everything I've read, this didn't seem to happen...

Ideas?

Thanks...
-jeff

Probably filled the keg to high with beer. No worries though, it'll go back in. Although not necessary, this can be presented by keeping gas lines higher than the keg or filling with less beer. In the end you can always disassemble the lines and clean em out, the fact that there's only CO2 in there will stem anything from growing.

Were you shaking/rocking the keg? If so, some beer may have made it's way out of the gas dip tube. Just disconnect the gas line from the regulator and rinse it out/dry it off. If you were shaking it higher than the regulator you could have some beer in the reg, which you'd want to dismantle and clean.

There can also be an issue if the keg was connected at a higher pressure than the regulator and you had no check valves, which could push beer up the gas line if it was filled high enough. That's a big mess and you'd need to dismantle the regulator to clean it and dry it.

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the info!

The keg was on the floor which was lower than the CO2 tank. I rolled the keg back and forth for about 10 minutes. I'll take the line off and clean it, but the regulator was never lower, so it should be ok... I hope anyway.

I actually just released the pressure and set the CO2 tank to 8psi and poured my first beer!! I'm a happy camper! Tastes great, carbonation seems spot on!

Thanks again!

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the info!

The keg was on the floor which was lower than the CO2 tank. I rolled the keg back and forth for about 10 minutes. I'll take the line off and clean it, but the regulator was never lower, so it should be ok... I hope anyway.

I actually just released the pressure and set the CO2 tank to 8psi and poured my first beer!! I'm a happy camper! Tastes great, carbonation seems spot on!

Thanks again!

If beer flowed back to the regulator (hope not!) then take it apart and clean it before it dries. It's easy.

I don't recommend shaking/rocking the keg for many reasons, but one of the reasons is that regulators are expensive!

Height of the regulator should not be an issue, as long as the beer level is below the gas in tube and the keg pressure never exceeds the regulator pressure. That said U.S. Plastics Corp. has check valve 64047 which will prevent it from ever happening again.

I will take your word for that, I never take a chance on that I always have carbed the same way 30psi or so set the seal vent 2 times leave it at 30psi chill for 24 hours connect gas line set to psi for style leave for 2-3 weeks or more if taps are still full.

Oh I've never tried it, and have no plans to. I was simply mentioning that even if you take precautions to not overfill the keg, you can get beer backflow if you put the keg on its side.

Back