Solve the plastic taste mystery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevFry

Reaction score
So, I've been hunting down solutions to the plastic after taste and burp that's begun plaguing me as of late.

The local shop told me that they thought it might be lactobacillus. But everything I've read points to the issue with chlorine and the medicine taste (phenols?)

I've been doing partial boils with extract because until just recently I didn't have a pot big enough for a full boil. This means that once cooled with the wort chiller i dump the wort into primary and add about 2 gallons of cold tap water to make up the difference.

I know that Seattle bumped the amount of fluoride they've been adding this Janurary and my issues started about that time. Perhaps they adjusted the chlorine as well. They claim to not use chloramine (sp). This also coincides with when I got my wort chiller.

So, could crashing the temp and dumping a few gallons of cold tap water onto the wort really cause this plastic taste issue?

I know I should just brew and see, but input is nice, so I know I'm not going crazy... Alone at least.

Thanks

RevFry said:
So, I've been hunting down solutions to the plastic after taste and burp that's begun plaguing me as of late.

The local shop told me that they thought it might be lactobacillus. But everything I've read points to the issue with chlorine and the medicine taste (phenols?)

I've been doing partial boils with extract because until just recently I didn't have a pot big enough for a full boil. This means that once cooled with the wort chiller i dump the wort into primary and add about 2 gallons of cold tap water to make up the difference.

I know that Seattle bumped the amount of fluoride they've been adding this Janurary and my issues started about that time. Perhaps they adjusted the chlorine as well. They claim to not use chloramine (sp). This also coincides with when I got my wort chiller.

So, could crashing the temp and dumping a few gallons of cold tap water onto the wort really cause this plastic taste issue?

I know I should just brew and see, but input is nice, so I know I'm not going crazy... Alone at least.

Thanks

What yeast did you use?

I had this issue with kolsch yeast recently. Cleared up after a month at 35 degrees.

o4_srt said:
What yeast did you use?

I had this issue with kolsch yeast recently. Cleared up after a month at 35 degrees.

I'm using wyeast, usually 1056.

That's another question. Will that after taste mellow out and vanish over time?

had plastic taste to my beers before i started to filter my water the ones that tasted really bad were ligher less hopped and the plastic taste took over and never got any better darker beers or high hopped it wasnt as noticable but was there

I got the same plastic taste when I moved from the country to the city. Never had the problem with well water. Found out pretty quick it was the chlorine. I started just buying enough spring water from the store for brewing.

AlphaWolf-Brewery said:
I got the same plastic taste when I moved from the country to the city. Never had the problem with well water. Found out pretty quick it was the chlorine. I started just buying enough spring water from the store for brewing.

Instead of buyin spring water, just treat your water with potassium metabisulphate (campden) tablets from your lhbs. They are cheaper than buying water for every batch.

AlphaWolf-Brewery said:
I might have to give that a try.

They're under $5 for a bottle, and each tablet will treat 20 gallons. I just break a tablet in half to treat my strike water, then use the other half for my sparge water. Dissolve in the water and chlorine AND chloramines are gone.

They're under $5 for a bottle, and each tablet will treat 20 gallons. I just break a tablet in half to treat my strike water, then use the other half for my sparge water. Dissolve in the water and chlorine AND chloramines are gone.

Do you need to give it a certain amount of time to work?

I wish my homebrew shop would've mentioned that.

My wife is really understanding saying, "Oh well, you're learning." Meanwhile I'm pissed I've pretty much wasted $30+ each batch that goes bad.

I had plans to enter these last two batches in competition but they taste so bad now. =/

I'll brew another with the tabs or at full boil to see if that solves the problem.

*fingers crossed*

I wont matter if it is full boil or not, you can't boil off the chlorine. Either get the tabs or source some water that is chlorine free.

I add campden to total water volume day before brewday. and go about my business. If I need top off water for extract kits, I'll boil campden added water to get rid of chlorine. Overkill maybe.
Brita/pur filtering also helps.

I was under the impression that one tablet only covered 5 gallons instead of 20. I have been putting two in for my strike and sparge water for my 10 gallon batches. my tablets are no bigger than an aspirin, is yours the same size?

cox8611 said:
I was under the impression that one tablet only covered 5 gallons instead of 20. I have been putting two in for my strike and sparge water for my 10 gallon batches. my tablets are no bigger than an aspirin, is yours the same size?

I always heard 1 tablet is for 20 gallons also. Seems to work for my chlromine treated water supply.

I used to buy spring water. I switched to a PUR filter with a hose adapter on a RV drinking water safe hose. I add in a CRUSHED camden tab to the HLT never had any issues to date with odd flavors from the water.I say crushed camden tab because they do not really dissolve well unless you crush them...

Camden is a great thing to have in the brewery. It can act like a sanitizer in a pinch and it can sanitize fruit. These are wine techniques and may or may not work well for beer. YMMV.

I've been toting around some coffee I made today. I popped the lid open and it stinks of the same plastic odor. Perhaps this is a water issue after all. Phew.

Getting some tablets soon.

Thanks guys.

I'd try your next batch with completely different water. If your problem is gone entirely, then try the tabs with your water and see how it goes.

Back