Calling all woodworkers and or painters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
What's the best choice for protecting a painted bar rail? I painted mine with a black enamel (water based) and it looks awesome. But every time you touch it, it smudges and looks like crap.

I would have recommended painting it with several thin coats of black lacquer, but I suppose its too late. I think a basic polyurethane would work. At least three coats, put them on as thin as you can and lightly sand with a synthetic steel wool pad between coats

Tough one...the new VOC compliant water based paints are not nearly as tough as the old school oil based enamels. Not sure top coating w/ oil base is advisable over a water borne paint, scuff it w/ sandpaper prior to topcoating if you do.

second on the spar varnish, aka marine varnish. A couple of coats will protect it forever, just choose the finish you want... gloss would be my preference.

Tough one...the new VOC compliant water based paints are not nearly as tough as the old school oil based enamels. Not sure top coating w/ oil base is advisable over a water borne paint, scuff it w/ sandpaper prior to topcoating if you do.

I know its to late to go oil base but they sell a primer that you can use to paint over your waterbase paint (sand the hell out of it first) and then use oil base.

second on the spar varnish, aka marine varnish. A couple of coats will protect it forever, just choose the finish you want... gloss would be my preference.

+1 on the spar varnish. i have a bench and two chairs that have been outside year round for 5 years. i would put at least 4 or 5 light coats. i have not tuched them other then to clean them and they look great.

Epoxy paint, they use it on commercial vehicles. Very tough stuff, it can resist rock chips like no other car paint. I used it for a primer when I was young and inexperienced, sucks to sand.

Latest posts

Back