Yeast starter wort frozen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjk49202

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Last night I made a yeast starter and put the flask in the freezer to rapidly cool so I could pitch the yeast. Well, one thing lead to another and I fell asleep and the starter wort, w/o yeast, froze in the freezer. I have since took it out and it's thawing at the moment. I put the yeast back in the fridge as well. My question is can I just thaw out the starter wort, get it to room temp and pitch the yeast like nothing happened? Or do I need to get more yeast and make another starter? I know that yeast don't exactly like temp changes like I put it through last night. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!:mug:

I'm thinking you will be fine as long as you keep it sanitary.
There are others on here "in the know" that may give better advise on this.

I've made many starters from wort that had been frozen and it worked great everytime. If a concern is that you left your yeast out of the fridge overnight don't worry about it, everything is still OK. Just thaw the wort and warm to room temp and add your yeast. Good luck.

You could bring it to a boil and cool it again if you are concerned about infection.

Yeah, you'll be totally fine by simply thawing out the frozen wort. I have several frozen liters of wort in my freezer waiting to be thawed out and used in an upcoming starter. Like Sacdan stated, you can also bring the wort to a boil after it has thawed to ensure that it is sterile, but you should be just fine without doing that.

Back