Pale Ginger Ale - Thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surye

Reaction score
Recipe: Pale Ginger Ale
Brewer: The Complex Brew
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.061 SG
Estimated Color: 12.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 34.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 90.91 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
0.50 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 28.5 IBU
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (30 min) Hops 5.5 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (0 min) (Aroma HopHops -
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
4.00 oz Ginger Root (Boil 12.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 11.00 lb
----------------------------
My Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Step Add 13.75 qt of water at 164.8 F 153.0 F

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love a good, crisp, strong ginger ale, and I love refreshing Pale Ales. I figured the Amarillo's citrus notes would compliment the ginger well. Honey malt as I wanted a touch of honey sweetness.

Any ideas on the recipe?

I brewed a darker ginger ale about a month and a half ago, and I was not pleased with result. I added about 3.5 oz of fresh ginger at the 10 min mark, and the ginger aroma was far below what I was shooting for, and the ginger flavor was not fresh, but rather cooked tasting. So if I were you, you may want to cut back on the ginger added to the boil, and add some more to the primary or secondary.

Last time I made ginger ale, I was brewing professionally. But my method will work just the same in homebrew.

I brewed a batch of Special Bitter. Nothing over the top, just Pale and 55L Crystal malt to 1.044, Challenger to 35 IBU, finished with Goldings. Racked 5 gallons into a corny keg for use on the pub's handpump. Tossed in about 4 oz of ginger in a cheesecloth bag. Let it steep for two weeks, then started serving.

People raved about it. Kicked the 'cask' in about three hours. :D

So, my advice is to 'dry-hop' in the secondary if bottling; add it to the keg if kegging. The character will change over time.

Bob

Back