Of all the noob mistakes!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroovePuppy

Reaction score
Went to check my Hob Goblin this morning that I brewed on Saturday and I realized I left the light on in the room it's fermenting in (probably about 11 hours). It's pretty bright in there, lit by four CFLs, so I'm wondering what the chances are I skunked the beer.

It is in a plastic bucket which I hope will diffuse the light (probably not very likely) and it is a relatively low-hop beer so I hope it won't end up that obvious. It's also a strong flavored beer which might mask any minor off-flavor.

Anyone had any experience with skunking their beer like this or does it take longer? I plan on RDWHAHBing (and another bottle of Tripel) and I'll drink Saturdays hydro reading but I thought I'd ask.

Happy Turkey-Day! :drunk:

If it's in a plastic bucket, that should be fine. I only worry if a brew is in a clear glass carboy, and even then I don't worry too much. I don't think that white plastic is very light permeable.

I vote for RDWHAHB myself.....

You can't do anything about it if it was anyway, right?....So you want to stress out about it for the next several weeks...or forget about it and probably have everything turn out okay?

Personally...I'd go for chillaxing myself :D

Who's helping out the noobs on Turkey Day? Yoop and Revvy! :D

Thanks guys. Even if I tweaked the brew a little I would say I'm more irritated at my stupidity than worried about it. I still have a case of my batch#2 Nut Brown which turned out awesome btw thanks to the tips from you guys and the rest of the HBTers. Trouble with good beer is it doesn't last! ;)

SWMBO and me have been clearing a more permanent space for fermenting and storage in the garage. Need shelves for fermentors, bottles, brewpot, wort chiller, turkey fryer, second brewpot, cleaners, sanitizers, tubing, hydrometer, miscellaneous tools! Did I mention I've only been doing this 2 months? :rockin:

The UV from CFL's is under 0.01% that of sunlight. You can skunk beer with a UV black-light, if you hold it close enough.

In the future, take a black garbage bag and cut a small hole in the corner for the airlock, then set it upside down over the carboy/bucket. This way you never have to worry about light.

Back