Blind Pig and Pliny the Elder Come to Texas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanh1801

Reaction score
Well at least this Texas house. Started tonight off with Blind Pig, to warm up to Pliny.

A- Very clear for an IPA just a little hazy, almost a light orange color. Nice rocky head, on of the better looking heads I have seen on a commercial beer.

Aroma- WOW, very very citrousy. Nice Carmel malt aroma also. Very inviting beer, nothing over the top.

Taste- Grapefruit, some pine like flavor, and a really really nice malt background. Best IPA I have had thus far. Very very nice balance of the hops and malt, nothing to over the top.

Overall- May I have another? :mug:

Just popped this puppy open, and oh man is the aroma killer, I can smell it 4 feet away.

Pliny the Elder.

A- Very pale orange, very very cloudy, very rocky head.

Aroma- Wow, as soon as I opened the beer up I could smell the beautiful hop aroma. Very very hoppy aroma, almost no malt in the aroma.

Taste- Now I am excited. Initial flavor is a huge hop bitterness, but nothing harsh, very very smooth for the amount of bitterness. This beer has a huge grapefruit flavor to it, its almost taste thick, which I know is not possible knowing how this beer is made, but it does not taste thin at all to me, defiantly a sipper.

Overall- Great beer, Not sure I could drink this one all day long like Blind Pig, but defiantly a great beer.

Hey Ryan,

Did you buy it here in Texas?

No I actually got it from ebay. Ended up being about 20 bucks for both beers shipped. Well worth it as both beers are awesome. I can get you the sellers name if you want, he was very good about getting them out and packing was awesome.

I've never had either of these beers from the bottle. We're lucky to have pliny on tap nearly all the time at my local and the pig is around quite a bit from the tap too.

I'll have to source some bottles and see how they differ from the on tap stuff

Well, I hate to be that guy, but I am.

I ordered a couple Plineys and Blind pigs at great personal expense, along with a 750 of Damnation and Stone Vertical epic. I have to say, of all the beers I got, Pliney was the least impressive.

I had the Blind Pigs, and was completely blown away. I think I sniffed it as much as I drank it, it was so floral and hop forward without being overly bitter or resinous. I thought to myself, "well, if Blind Pig is this good, Pliney is going to make me finish."

I don't know if it was just an old bottle, the first batch on a new system, transporting problems, or what, but the Pliney just didn't do it for me. The aroma wasn't there, the mouthfeel was big but the bitterness didn't cut through it like it should. I will give it all the chances in the world, but I'm not paying as much as I did to have it shipped all the way out here. The Blind Pigs however, I will go in to bankruptcy for.

I've never had either of these beers from the bottle. We're lucky to have pliny on tap nearly all the time at my local and the pig is around quite a bit from the tap too.

I'll have to source some bottles and see how they differ from the on tap stuff

Which bar do y ou call home?

Well, I hate to be that guy, but I am.

I ordered a couple Plineys and Blind pigs at great personal expense, along with a 750 of Damnation and Stone Vertical epic. I have to say, of all the beers I got, Pliney was the least impressive.

I had the Blind Pigs, and was completely blown away. I think I sniffed it as much as I drank it, it was so floral and hop forward without being overly bitter or resinous. I thought to myself, "well, if Blind Pig is this good, Pliney is going to make me finish."

I don't know if it was just an old bottle, the first batch on a new system, transporting problems, or what, but the Pliney just didn't do it for me. The aroma wasn't there, the mouthfeel was big but the bitterness didn't cut through it like it should. I will give it all the chances in the world, but I'm not paying as much as I did to have it shipped all the way out here. The Blind Pigs however, I will go in to bankruptcy for.

I feel bad for you if that's the Pliny experience you had. It really is wonderful.

I don't think I'll ever have a bottle of it. The cost of a bottle is the same as a pint and it is always on tap, so whatever. :)

Back