newbie question. help me out.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewheim

Reaction score
i was at my LHBS todfay and noticed that they have extract in the 3.75 Lb can and some in a 6 Lb-er. if i were to get the 6er, would i have to add as much kicker as i did to the 3.75? what would you add? (light color pilsner)

If by kicker you mean sugar, no you would not have to add any additional sugar. And for many beer styles adding regular sugar or cornsugar can lead to off flavors and is not appropriate for the style. Stick with all malt extract

thanks for the advice. so just the 6lb alone is adequate for a 5 gallon batch? and by kicker i mean a small can of wheat extract.

6lbs of extract in a 5 gallon batch will give you an OG of around 1.043 if it's the only fermentable that you use. This will give you an ABV of roughly 4%. You don't need the wheat extract, but if you use it it'll just make the beer stronger.

Back