Best Turkey Fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrooZer

Reaction score
Im looking at fryers and was thinkg the banjo burner and a 36 or 40 qt pot. Any suggestions. Im doing extract now and want to do AG eventually.

Get the largest pot that you can... it is great when you dont have ot stare at the boil to make sure it doesnt boil over. I have a 15 gallon keggle, so it is easy to get a hardcore boil happening and not have to worry about a thing.

I have the KAB5 with the standard regulator, which puts out about 125,000btus.

the burner diameter is almost too wide for my 9gallon pot, and the lowest heat I can get causes almost constant boil overs on a day with zero wind.

eventually I'll have a keggle so it will be perfect then.

malkore said:
I have the KAB5 with the standard regulator, which puts out about 125,000btus.

the burner diameter is almost too wide for my 9gallon pot, and the lowest heat I can get causes almost constant boil overs on a day with zero wind.

eventually I'll have a keggle so it will be perfect then.

Is the KAB5 the Kick A Banjo? Are you saying it is too much heat? Cant you turn it down?

I have a Grand Gourmet Pro 160'000 BTU with a 34 Qt Pot, That I picked up at Meijer here in Michigan. I wish I had a Bigger Pot But I dont really Care because I like to stand over it and smell it anyway, That Aside....The Burner I have is a beast and has been getting me to a rolling boil in 35 min in temps in the teens outside.

BrooZer said:
Is the KAB5 the Kick A Banjo? Are you saying it is too much heat? Cant you turn it down?

That's the one.
Now that I've dialed in the air to propane mixture, last weekend it never wanted to stop boiling over. I lost 2 gallons in an hour, and that includes pouring in about 3/5 of a gallon to keep knocking back the boilover (I needs me a spray bottle!)
the grainbill was just a little wheat and 2-row, and I had normal hop break.

if i turned down the gas, the flame wanted to go out.

malkore said:
That's the one.
Now that I've dialed in the air to propane mixture, last weekend it never wanted to stop boiling over. I lost 2 gallons in an hour, and that includes pouring in about 3/5 of a gallon to keep knocking back the boilover (I needs me a spray bottle!)
the grainbill was just a little wheat and 2-row, and I had normal hop break.

if i turned down the gas, the flame wanted to go out.

So would you not suggest it? Can anyone else chime in there has to be more turkey fryer guys out there!

malkore, you might have the regulator turned up too high. It's a dial or knob that goes on the gas line right into the propane burner. I've had that happen where I get a flame geyer, but trying to turn down the gas only makes it go out.

BrooZer, that burner should work fine.

EvilTOJ,

nope, that's the valve I'm adjusting. propane valve is open fully, then I dial in the flow with the valve on the KAB5 regulator.

before I dialed in the air mixture, I had black soot all over, but no constant boilover because I didn't give it enough air to burn completely so it was a cooler flame and 'wasted' propane.

really, I just need a wider brewpot, but I spent close to $100 on the one I have, so no way am I replacing it for a year or two.

malkore said:
EvilTOJ,

nope, that's the valve I'm adjusting. propane valve is open fully, then I dial in the flow with the valve on the KAB5 regulator.

before I dialed in the air mixture, I had black soot all over, but no constant boilover because I didn't give it enough air to burn completely so it was a cooler flame and 'wasted' propane.

really, I just need a wider brewpot, but I spent close to $100 on the one I have, so no way am I replacing it for a year or two.

what size brew pot, i was looking at a 36 quart one to go with that bruner...

EvilTOJ said:
malkore, you might have the regulator turned up too high. It's a dial or knob that goes on the gas line right into the propane burner. I've had that happen where I get a flame geyer, but trying to turn down the gas only makes it go out.

BrooZer, that burner should work fine.

What size brew pot do you use?

Back