Specialty IPA: Black IPA Heavenly Scourge Black IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ended up picking up another smack pack for my starter because i had to go to the lhbs anyway. By far the most vigorous fermentation I've seen.

As a side note, I still have stains on my kitchen ceiling from this brew. I did pm biab and attempted to squeeze the grains while they sat on a colander over the brew kettle. The colander slipped and plunged 9lb of grain into about 2gal of wort resulting in wort covering the entire kitchen and myself. Luckily i have a very understanding swmbo and she helped me clean the very sticky kitchen. I had to add an extra .5lb of dme to hit my og but i don't think my beer will suffer from this (just my ego).

Bought the ingredients for this (alebit with carafa I instead of III due to availability). Looking forward to brewing it up!

We're putting this recipe on our brew schedule but it seems that Amarillo is in short supply and out of stock at most distributors. As an alternative, we're planning on using Cascade and Ahtanum. Any comments?

I brewed this yesterday and I used Cascade instead of Amarillo and it turned out real well i thought. Will let you know in a few weeks when it's done?

Without Amarillo it won't taste quite the same, but I am sure it will taste great. Cascade is usually the hop of choice when substituting for Amarillo, so you did as good as was possible.

Brewed a partial mash version of this today,

16 oz of Carafa
16 oz Caramel 60L
3.5 lb of 2 row
6.5 lb of light dry extract

Hop schedule was the same
Using Safale-5

Seems to be quite good so far, I'll report back when I bottle.

I'll definitely be brewing this again!

ForumRunner_20130112_150527.png

Sorry for late reply.

No, I can't find the import wizard in the mac version of the software. If you could upload Beersmith 2.x file it would be very helpful.

Thanks

Do you mean the link helped you, or were you still not able to convert the file?

Something happened our og was 1.104 and fg 1.018. So we have alcohol at 11.27%. Hydro sample tasted amazing

@brrman Over the weekend I had a beer by Firestone Walker - Wookie Jack whcih is a black ipa with rye. it was fantastic. My next version of this will include a bit of rye just to get that little bit of spice.

Yes I have considered a rye version of this - I do have a rye ipa I make and the spiciness from rye is just amazing. Let me know how it turns out!

gugguson: sorry I have not been around. I will post that BS2 file this evening.

What would a rye version give the beer extra? More body or head? How much would you have of rye and what grain to lower?

Thank you brrman for the bs2.

Yes I have considered a rye version of this - I do have a rye ipa I make and the spiciness from rye is just amazing. Let me know how it turns out!

gugguson: sorry I have not been around. I will post that BS2 file this evening.

This recipe looks so good. I never knew I wanted to make a black IIPA till I saw this :D I'm going to have to make a hop substitution for the Amarillo. Any thoughts on a good sub for it. I see most people use Cascade as a go to instead of Amarillo. I have some Simcoe, Summit, CTZ, Falconers Flight and Falconers 7C's. I read that the Summit has monster Citrus/Tangerine notes but I have never tried it but there is that garlic/onion issue some people have. I can get cascade but I wanted to know if anyone has used any of the ones I listed with awesome results.

Thanks

I wanna sub it because I'm gonna have to import it as I live in South Africa and the people who I can purchase/import from dont have stock, almost always SOLD OUT. Could probably get off ebay but I dont want to spend as much money on importing them as I do on the rest of the grain/hop bill, haha. So, any other suggestions for a substitution. Im leaning towards cascade but has anyone tried any other interesting hops that might work as well.

Thanks

This brew turned out fantastic! The head on it is gorgeous and lasts forever! Hop flavor and aroma is delicious and perfect! I recently tried a local brewery's BIIPA and found it, while enjoyable, much too roasty. Like 2 minutes after a sip all I can taste still is roast. Contrast to here there is very little roasted character despite being pitch black. I brewed this up again, 3 gallon batch, and added in 6oz of black malt to get a little more roast into the recipe which is something I think I'd really like for this recipe. Can't wait to see how it turns out, this will definitely be a regular brew!

DSC_0676.jpg

Just brewed this yesterday and subbed Amarillo with 50/50 Cascade & Ahtanum.

As Duffman commented, the finished product was quite enjoyable. If forced carbing, ready for consumption in 3 weeks but I did a set and forget and was ready in 4.

A 10 gallon batch was shared with my associate Brewmeister and he fermented his @ 68 degrees while mine was @ 64. After a taste test, his fiancee preferred mine to his. Hope that doesn't create any turmoil in their relationship!

On a side note, need to be a little more diligent siphoning off after secondary. Had a stuck dip tube when first tapping the keg since the week it was on the gas, any hops introduced while racking settled to the bottom. All is good now and there are plans to introduce a filtering process in the future to eliminate this problem.

Just wanted to comment about my addition of 6oz Black malt to a 3 Gallon batch, I find it gives a nice touch of roast to the brew. I definitely wouldn't want to add any more than that, we're not making a hoppy stout after all! Good stuff!

I've been looking for a black IPA template and thread and this is the most helpful so far. I've tried to read most of it, but I have couple questions I'd love to get some feedback on.

First it sounds like most are in favor of the late addition roast malts to import color more than roast character, true? And second the big one for me without Carafa on hand are ideas on quantities and proportions of malts I do have around including black patent, special B, and a handful of others.

Definitely not looking to make hoppy stout, just impart color and some roast character to my house IPA.
GREAT THREAD, thanks.

Brewed this up on Sunday. Followed the OP recipe pretty closely. My efficiency has been crap lately so I added one pound of Amber DME and hit 1.080 OG exactly. Also threw in maybe 6 oz of Black Patent I had laying around. It was bubbling like mad for the first 48 hours but has settled down now. I am REALLY excited to try this. Thanks brrman!

From reading the posts it seems like it can be a quick-turnaround beer, but a couple months of bottle conditioning do it well. My impatience means I'll be making a comparison (can't wait three months to try this).

Back