Help me with off flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHans3

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an off flavor in my IPA which is making it borderline undrinkable. The flavor becomes more pronounced the more I drink the beer.

Basically, my tongue gets super dry and it has a harsh, not hoppy bitter flavor on it. From what I have read, I think that this is the astringency off flavor. I seem to remember having this flavor in previous IPAs. I think I am steeping at OK temps, but I do not remember with this brew. Only other thing I can thing of is from dry hopping in the keg with hop pellets. I had noticeable bits of hop pellets in my beer when first pouring, but not now. Also, might this be from steeping in too large a volume of water?

Does anyone have any ideas whether this is indeed the off flavor I am experiencing, and if so, how can i fix it? I just rebrewed this IPA (with some changes), and I was super careful about steeping temps. I also used only one gallon of water for steeping, and toned back the bitterness over all. Additionally, I will not be dry hopping in the keg, but rather in the primary with leaf hops. Will this help me?

Thanks,

CHans

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I did a continuous hop addition of amarillo pellets each minute for the final 30 minutes. Maybe I just made the beer too bitter overall.

I purchased Beersmith before rebrewing this, and I think it will help me, but I want to make sure I have all of my bases covered moving forward.

Latest posts

Back