BG12 burner jet/orifice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis_W

Reaction score
I brewed last night for the first time on my new single tier setup. Well it didn't go so hot..... I had a tall/wide yellow sooty flame and couldn't heat anything like I thought. Not even boil!

I am running brand new BG12 low pressure burners. The burners did not come with the jet, there was just an 1/8" threaded hole. So little did i know that I need a jet not just an 1/8" fitting. I just had a standard 1/8" fitting and made my way up to 1/2" which is my hard piped manifold.
Couple questions.

1. Does it sound like i have the problem nailed down?

2. What jet do I need for these low pressure burners? Everything is hard piped so I want a straight piece not an elbow.

Thanks guys!

better yet are these sold on amazon or anywhere else to avoid shipping costs for small fittings?

This one will definitely work for you, but it also includes a valve. You may be able to find a standard orifice at the hardware store. This one specifies an orifice opening of .052", with an output rating of 21,200 BTU.....which is a bit low for brewing IMO.

When you say "low pressure," do you know the specific pressure you are referring to? The reason I ask, there are several retailers that refer to 10 PSI as low pressure, which it is not. In this case they are usually comparing it to other items in their own product line that run at 20-30PSI. True "low pressure" LP's pressure is 11" Water Column (about 0.5 PSI). At that pressure you are going to have a hard time getting enough heat out of the BG12, especially if you are doing batches over 5 gallons.

I believe it is 55,000 btu'sm, "low pressure" in there product line. And I do have a 10psi regulator on the tank.

Yep, 10 psi is high pressure, so you'll need a high pressure orifice, which has a much smaller hole than the low pressure ones. Here's one that will work-http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/5235_propane_burner_part.htm

And they are sold on Amazon, but not by Amazon, so there will still be shipping costs.

That's what I saw too. I thought it would be easiest to go to the manufacture website but that is not correct. The link you gave me the fitting has 1/4" male threads. My burner has 1/8" female threads..... So i will need 1/8" male threads...rite? Seems like the morebeer products might be the safe bet?

Dennis_W said:
That's what I saw too. I thought it would be easiest to go to the manufacture website but that is not correct. The link you gave me the fitting has 1/4" male threads. My burner has 1/8" female threads..... So i will need 1/8" male threads...rite? Seems like the morebeer products might be the safe bet?

If you have a BG-12 it is 1/4 thread.

Back