Stepping up a starter- process question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diptherunner

Reaction score
I have a 1L starter going now, but I'd like to step it up to a 2 or 3 larger if possible. What am I curious about, is whether I can decant, brew another small wort, and repitch in the same 1L flask? Will it continue to grow at the same rate with fresh wort, even in the same vessel?

The short answer is yes. I do this often, make starter allow yeast to grow when it begins to settle put in fridge allow to chill and completely settle. Do a mini BIAB meanwhile remove stater from fridge decant and allow to warm up. After boil cool wort to about the same as yeast left is flask. Sanitize funnel and pour cooled wort into flask on top current yeast. set in warm dark place for yeast to grow. Repeat as often as desired.

I think you can parlay that into a bigger starer but i dont think you get the full multiplying effect of a true stepup. At least that's what it looked like to me when I was investigating making a big 7Lstarter for a lager.

I have a 1L starter going now, but I'd like to step it up to a 2 or 3 larger if possible. What am I curious about, is whether I can decant, brew another small wort, and repitch in the same 1L flask? Will it continue to grow at the same rate with fresh wort, even in the same vessel?

Use YeastCalc to calculate how many steps you will need to do with 1L starters to get where you need

^^^ What FuzzeWuzze says. I needed a 1.5L starter for my Scotch Ale and used yeastcalc.com to figure out how to step up. It was my first starter and turned out great.
I since bought a 2L flask.

You will need bigger jar to get more growth.
Play with yeastcalc to see how numbers are changing with different starter volume.

Yeastcalc is great! Thanks, I'd never seen it before. I'll need 2 steps in a 1L with stir to step it up to appropriate pitching amount. Thanks everybody!

Back