First post, Help Please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerNerd12

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I started homebrewing about two months ago and I just began fermentation on my latest beer, a Belgian blonde ale from American Brewmasters(extract kit).

This brew has been in the fermenter since Sunday evening and after checking the airlock activity today I noticed it has slowed considerably, was very active yesterday. Upon doing a little investigation and checking the American Brewmasters website I just realized that they left out an entire bag(>1lb.) of light malt extract in my kit. I know it is my fault for not catching this sooner especially when the OG was so off but I did not even think about the possibility of ingredients being left out, I just assumed all the sugars were at the bottom of the bucket after having topped it off with water.

Is there anything I can do to fix this batch or is it pretty much 50 dollars down the drain?

Thanks!

Your sugars/extracts shouldn't be at the bottom of the bucket. They should be very well stirred to mix them with the boiled water & top off water if you're doing it that way. If the missing extract is DME,mix it with some boiled water & rack it in. Some have even dissolve DME in cool water to keep it from clumping in the BK. So you could dump it in the Fv & stir it without making any foam or bubbles.

You can mix the DME in. I do suggest dissolving it in a little boiling water as it doesnt hurt to make sure it is sanatized. If you dont put it in it will be thinner bodied and lower alcohol then it calls for but will still be beer.

As for airlock activity. Firstly lets start off with the fact that it is no indication of fermentation. Now that that is out of the way, the majority of fermentation happens all at once. Then the yeast clean up residual sugars and start breaking down and eating some of the slightly longer chain sugars while cleaning up some of the other compounds created during fermentation. This is why even though the gravity drops drasticly, we recommend not bottling or transferring before you get a consistent gravity reading 3 days in a row.

Horray, soon you will have beer.

It can't metabolize any of the long chain sugars. It slows down once initial fermentation is done. Then finishes the rest of the remaining short chain or simple sugars. Then eats the by products of fermentation that cause off flavors,etc. It does this last part after FG is reached (from eating all the simple sugars) & starts settling out clear or slightly misty. Then package. That seems to be your intended meaning drunkle.

Now that that is out of the way, the majority of fermentation happens all at once.
All at once? Like instantaneously? I know that's not true. I control the temp on my fermentations and normal time from OG-FG is 8-15 days, depending on the beer. I leave it in primary longer so the yeast and gravity can do some clean up, but I know fermentation is a process, not an instant occurrence.

I'm sure what he's referring to is what I termed initial fermentation. That first few days of vigorous fermenting activity.

My first extract kit kicked off hot and basically died after 30 hrs but I learned that that's normal and you just need to sit tight.
What was your OG...? I agree that you'll just have a lighter beer. Not the end of the world.

Correct Union. Thank you for clarifying for me.

Yep. Instantaneous fermentation. Thats why your lids blow off. Kidding. Yes primary fermentation days. Maybe I should stop posting now as my brain wants to go home and drink a beer.

Initial fermentation in primary...but close enough for now. Gotta pick my son up from work & run him home. His newer car quit & my starts for a change. Hate to go out in this cold & breezy shizz. Need smokes anyway.

Thanks for all the fast and helpful responses everyone! I am glad to see how friendly and helpful the homebrewing community really is.

I called up my local American Brewmasters and discussed my situation with them, I ended up swinging by there and they set me up with the liquid LME that was originally missing from this kit.(plus a 10% discount on my next purchase too boot! Really awesome staff with great customer service)

They suggested I dissolve this in some boiling water, let it cool, and then just rack it over into my fermentation bucket. Seeing as how most of your tips are along those same lines I am gonna go this route.

My first extract kit kicked off hot and basically died after 30 hrs but I learned that that's normal and you just need to sit tight.
What was your OG...? I agree that you'll just have a lighter beer. Not the end of the world.

My OG was 1.040 and it was supposed to be around 1.070, looking back now I feel like a real newbie for not taking serious alarm to this reading the first time, before pitching the yeast. But after all I took up this hobby because I love beer, its fun, and I wanted to learn something new. Now I can say that I have definitely learned something from this experience, check OG and make sure its where it is supposed to be, and will remember it for future brews. Cheers!

Also, just a FYI. Oftentimes with brews that include top off water, the OG's do not always read correctly due to stratification, read layering, of the heavier wort and the top off water. Even with stirring. But good catch on the left out extract. Welcome to a wonderfully addictive hobby/way of life.

As DrunkleJon says OG doesn't always match what the instructions say, but as long as you put ALL the malt into the correct volume of water you will be OK. Once the beer starts fermenting it will stir itself, you'll see lots of circulation inside the fermentor. Regardless, you will have made beer and it will be good. And your next batch will be better, and then you're hooked. You can keep this hobby as simple as you want or more complicated than you'll ever imagine, but in the end you're making beer and it is good.

Latest posts

Back