Can/bottle beer to keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustavo

Reaction score
I was just wondering if one could poor canned beer into a keg. And if it would go flat since it is coming to contact with air.

Worse, it would oxydize and end up tasting like we cardboard long before you kick the keg. Oxygen is the enemy of beer. And you would be pouring the beer through air.....

If it's already in it's proper container, just leave it as is....

Lol no reason just drinking a beer while setting up my keggerator. Kinda just thinking out loud lol

Lol no reason just drinking a beer while setting up my keggerator. Kinda just thinking out loud lol

So, i just set up my keezer too, AND I brewed beer and waited til it was finished fermenting....It sat empty for 3 weeks, and it will be probably another 2 weeks before all the beers are carbed up (I just put the second beer on the gas last night, and beer one has only been in there 5 days or so and still green)...So what I'm a big boy, I can wait to play with my "new" toy, without needing to dump beer into a keg from a can or bottle, just so I can pour it through a tap.

build tap handles, or design graphics or something....or more importantly, brew some beer and get it in there.

Man are we in an instant gratification society now or what? It's all "NOW NOW NOW." Were you the type of kid who opened his toys on Christmas morning and had them all broken by Christmas dinner? ;)

I had an IPA once that I bottled and it would not carb at all, even after a couple of months in a warm room. These beers were so flat - most had zero carbonation - that all I could conclude was that I forgot to prime when bottling - even though I could swear I remembered doing so. I figured I had nothing to lose so I opened all of the remaining bottles and poured them into a purged keg as carefully as possible to minimize any splashing and carbonated it in the keg. Once carbonated it tasted great, no oxidation. Everyone who tried it loved it and the keg was empty within a few days. Would I recommend doing this if you did not have to do so? No, but it can be done with good results, at least with some beers. I am brewing the same beer again this weekend, but this time it is going straight to the keg!

I don't know why everyone's all worked up about oxidation. All you would need to do is purge the keg with CO2 before dumping your beers in. You'd lose some carbonation, but you'd get it back when you put it back under pressure for a couple of days.

Of course I would use an alternate method: open the can and pour directly into your mouth.

Sorry NewB question but how can u purge a keg before u but the beer in? Would the co2 escape when u open the keg to dump the beer in. Or am I miss understanding the concept.

CO2 is heavier than air. So if you fill the keg with CO2 and keep it mostly upright, it'll pretty much stay put for the length of time we're talking about. Many people do this when racking to the keg, but I never worry about it and just purge the headspace when I have it filled. I haven't noticed any oxidation problems thus far.

What I did while waiting to get my beer in kegs was to bring one of my kegs to the local microbrewery. They filled it up for $55 and I had 5 gallons of one of my favorite stouts on tap right away. :) yes, instant gratification, and it was worth it! :)

Back