Sage amber ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My ideas about how to do that? When to add sage? I'd like to put in fresh organic sage, thoughts? I'm under the impression that I should add the sage on during the second fermentation process....?

My ideas about how to do that? When to add sage? I'd like to put in fresh organic sage, thoughts? I'm under the impression that I should add the sage on during the second fermentation process....?

Treat it like you would hops, a dry hop addition as you move it to secondary fermentation will give that crisp/fresh taste, whereas adding it during the boil will give you a more mellow-cooked quality.

Use sage in a dish when you cook it, and in another fresh as a garnish and you'll know what I mean. It's up to you what effect you want from the sage, both ways are "right".

Good to know. Do you have and beer types that you would consider to be a good pairing with sage? I'm not sure why but I really want to have it in a home brew, I've only seen it in an IPA...

I recently did a White IIPA that I put sage, lemongrass, coriander, and orange peel in right before flameout (was shooting for something like the Boulevard/Deschutes collaboration.) The sage came through very nicely. I can't remember how much I used, but it was over a half pack of fresh basil from Whole Foods.

Back