Is this grain crush ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

localhost

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've periodically been running into efficiency issues, and while i have it almost under control, i'm still coming in 0.010 or so below where i should be for my pre-boil gravity, and in turn my starting gravity. There are only a few things left to try, but one thing i'm not sure of is my grain crush. I get my grain pre-milled, usually from either more beer or northern brewer.

Here are some pics of the american pale and cara-pils i used in my last batch. Beersmith said i should come out around 1.078, i came in at 1.063 SG.

Let me know if you guys see anything wrong with it, or if i should look elsewhere.

Thanks

2012-05-20_13-38-07_72.jpg

2012-05-20_13-38-17_473.jpg

2012-05-20_13-38-22_830.jpg

I personally crush my grain far more than pictured above. I'm not afraid of a stuck sparge and haven't had one yet dispite the severe crush I inflict on my grain. I would recommend further crushing if you can. The crush is the single best way of improving your efficiency. I get about 85-90% using a good crush and about a 40 min. sparge time. Cheers!
mark
www.backyardbrewer.blogspot.com

That's an adequate looking crush though I like mine finer.

You said Beersmith predicted 1078 but you got 1063. Beer smith defaults to 75% eff I think. That means you hit about 58% assuming constant volume. That's pretty low but if you're hitting it consistently I wouldn't change anything. Just plan to buy a couple-three more lbs of grain per batch.

That crush may be reducing your eff a bit but I'd look elsewhere if you really want to pursue it.

I think that is not crushed nearly enough. Looks like lots of whole grains there.

Very poor crush, next time tell them you want a fine crush or better yet get your own mill and do it yourself.

Well i had been on the fence whether i wanted to get my own mill or not, i think that seals the deal. Thanks for the input guys!

That doesn't look crushed hardly at all IMO. I set my barley crusher as tight as it will go, grain condition, and it is nothing but flour and whole smashed husks. I use plenty of rice hulls in every batch because I have had a few stuck sparges...:p

-Steve

I personally crush my grain far more than pictured above. I'm not afraid of a stuck sparge and haven't had one yet dispite the severe crush I inflict on my grain. I would recommend further crushing if you can. The crush is the single best way of improving your efficiency. I get about 85-90% using a good crush and about a 40 min. sparge time. Cheers!
mark
www.backyardbrewer.blogspot.com

See https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/any-real-science-effect-crush-extract-yield-326573/

Do you think you get your increased yield from sparging efficiency or conversion? If sparging efficiency, how would a finer crush do that?

I think this is the 2nd time this week someone has complained about not hitting their mash efficiency with a crush from northern brewer.

Possibly the gap setting on their mill (one of their mills?) has slipped.

I think this is the 2nd time this week someone has complained about not hitting their mash efficiency with a crush from northern brewer.

Possibly the gap setting on their mill (one of their mills?) has slipped.

This grain was from Morebeer, though i have gotten NB grain that looked like this as well (and not too long ago).

Back