Buying a brew rig today. Any tips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dieselboy

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am going to look at a single tier all stainless brew rig today. I want to get into all grain brewing and was going to build my brew rig this summer. This one popped up and it exactly what I was looking for and its already done (and looks way better than anything I could of welded. Its an electric Rims system with a propane BK. Does anything ever wear out on brew rigs? Any good/bad things I should look for? Thanks for the help. Ill put some pictures up if/when I buy it.

:mug:

Well I'd make sure the heating element is still good. Also if pumps are included make sure it works and doesn't sound like a thrashing machine. Since its an electric RIMS I'd assume it has some sort of control system so make sure it's operational. That's about all I can think of. Good luck!

I'd ask to see it running using water to make sure everything is working correctly. Take a look at the wiring and make sure everything looks good (e.g. no melted insulation). I wouldn't worry too much about the element(s)...they're really cheap, so don't be too concerned about corrosion or scale. Maybe focus more on how they're mounted and on how easy they are to replace. Pumps and controls would be my biggest concern. Make sure all buttons, switches, and lights are working.

:mug:

Brewery1.jpg

brewery2.jpg

is it rude to ask what you paid for it?? looks like it should be hanging from a rap stars neck....shiny, awesome find

I was overwhelmed by all the stainless. I went to just look at it to get some ideas to build mine. I will post more pics once i get it home.

Are there any extras I need in order to brew all grain? I am getting the rig, but he has a whole room full of brew gear (kegs refractometer glass carboys minibrew fermenters extra triclamps o2 stone and regulator) that he said I could buy from him. If you guys could pick some things to make your brew day easier what would they be? He has alot of stuff and I am not sure that I need to buy the whole lot. Im not sure I need any of it. I currently have kegs, fermenter buckets etc. I guess what Im asking is what should I buy to go along.

Well if your not interested in the O2 setup I'll buy it from you/him! The tri-clamps are always nice to have a few extra of. I guess it's hard to say what you need until you tell us what was included.

Back