1" Stainless Steel lock nuts don't exist in Canada? Anyone have any luck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geordan

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

All I want to do is install an element in my brew kettle, which I thought would be simple; however, I've called every manufacturer and distributor I can think of in Canada looking for a 1" Stainless Steel lock nut (Home Depot, Lowes, Rona, Home Hardware, Brafasco, Acklands Grainger, Noble, etc) and nobody's got them. They've all told me the only place I'll be able to get one is McMaster Carr, and they won't ship one to Canada unless I'm on a business account with a certain dollar value. I've tried contacting Bargain Fittings and ordering their $9 locknut/o-ring combo, but they won't ship it to Canada for less than $25 for some very murky "customs" reason.

Short of driving 300 kilometres across the border, does anyone have any ideas where I might find one?

Where are you from? I leave for the US in a week on training, you could order it and ship it to my hotel and then I could mail it to you. Just a thought

Hey everyone,

All I want to do is install an element in my brew kettle, which I thought would be simple; however, I've called every manufacturer and distributor I can think of in Canada looking for a 1" Stainless Steel lock nut (Home Depot, Lowes, Rona, Home Hardware, Brafasco, Acklands Grainger, Noble, etc) and nobody's got them. They've all told me the only place I'll be able to get one is McMaster Carr, and they won't ship one to Canada unless I'm on a business account with a certain dollar value. I've tried contacting Bargain Fittings and ordering their $9 locknut/o-ring combo, but they won't ship it to Canada for less than $25 for some very murky "customs" reason.

Short of driving 300 kilometres across the border, does anyone have any ideas where I might find one?

Nothing murky about our reasons. Our site clearly states our policies on the international shipments.
http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=10

There is no tracking on first class or small flat rate boxes or envelopes.

It is quite frustrating to ship an item and then explain to the customer why there is no tracking on the package.

I don't understand why it's so difficult doing anything between the US and Canada. The border is pretty much open.

I've had similar problems buying on E-Bay. The shipping is so crazy I won't even bid, but I've ordered stuff from China and had it shipped for $10-$15. I live in Buffalo and when I cross the border my cell phone charges are like $2.00 per minute, even though I can pretty much see my house from Fort Erie. I have friends who can send packages and make phone calls to India cheaper than they can to Canada.

Wasn't NAFTA supposed to take care of this stuff?

I found a fantastic place in texas that sent me up 2 1" NPT locknuts.

Dont worry about the NPT NPS non-sense, for a locknut there is no difference as there are only 2 or 3 threads that engage. Not nearly enough for the "taper".

I will post the details tomrrow. They were around 20 canadian shipped for 2. There were no custom charges, but as us Canadians know, they are spotty, so you may get hit, you may not.

I did find a local stainless place that could get me some.. for hah $45 a peice.

Well everyone, I've got to say I'm overwhelmed by the help I was offered! Multiple members messaged me with offers to help me get the stainless nut shipped north without so much fuss. I definitely appreciate the gesture -- thanks everyone!

Having said that, I ended up ordering the locknut linked above by aquenne and janivar -- $14 shipped, should arrive next week.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Glad to hear it all worked out for you. I was about to pull the trigger on some locknuts, but i found them to be too thick for my application. I ended up taking a coupling and cutting 1.5mm slices off to do the same thing. Bonus was that it was cheaper too!

Fastenal, Spaenaur, Bolt and Nut Supply, Desco. I dealt with all of these companies for various items over the years, for locomotive and heavy equipment manufacturing. I rarely needed to order from the US.

Yea, it's a real PITA to ship to Canada. UPS wants a outrageous brokerage fee, and USPS is a half hour of BS. I usually up charge $10 for the extra paperwork and BS at the Post Office. That's the murky customs problem.

What kind of bs do you get at the post office that takes a half hour? Just drop off the package with the customs declaration and pay. 5 minutes. But I have never been asked for a customs form when sending a letter. With small parts like a nut just tape it to cardboard and put it in a regular envelope with stamps on it. Never had a problem with that for small stuff.

I don't understand why it's so difficult doing anything between the US and Canada. The border is pretty much open.

I've had similar problems buying on E-Bay. The shipping is so crazy I won't even bid, but I've ordered stuff from China and had it shipped for $10-$15. I live in Buffalo and when I cross the border my cell phone charges are like $2.00 per minute, even though I can pretty much see my house from Fort Erie. I have friends who can send packages and make phone calls to India cheaper than they can to Canada.

Wasn't NAFTA supposed to take care of this stuff?
It's actually $2 a day for the same phone coverage if you have verizon now.. I live in buffalo and travel to my employers Canadian office from time to time..

It's actually $2 a day for the same phone coverage if you have verizon now.. I live in buffalo and travel to my employers Canadian office from time to time..

I've finally switched to T-Mobile One for no-fees in Canada, and unlimited data/voice/text/etc. Coverage isn't the best but it's manageable for where I go.

MC

Latest posts

Back