Not an Ipad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gmj1980

Reaction score
Does anyone use any tablet beside an iPad for the home brewing? Just wondering I would like to get a tablet but not an iPad. Thanks

Does anyone use any tablet beside an iPad for the home brewing? Just wondering I would like to get a tablet but not an iPad. Thanks

What do you mean by "for home brewing"?

I have the Toshiba tablet, I use it when I travel, but all my brewing records/Beer Smith are on my desk top.

I use BeerAlchemy & Hopville.com on an iPad... What's wrong with an iPad ?

Pretentiousness is a main concern for non apple users, and well founded given the most visible users of the brand (vs the everyday man who uses apple products)

I use beeralchemy on my iPhone. Very usefull on brewdays. Don't know if the tablet versions are better.

So someone else's pretentiousness influences your decisions? Strange.

I also use an iPad, but my comment will actually be tablet related in general, so therefore, relevant. I find that when I brew at home, its more of a hassle to remember where I placed it, keep it out of the way, etc, so I end up just using my computer like always.

Whatever tablet you get, I recommend using a program that is sync-able with a full version on your computer. Tablets are fun, and have some great uses, but when I'm making recipes, managing ingredients, etc, I like to be at my full-sized laptop with a keyboard.

DannPM said:
Pretentiousness is a main concern for non apple users,

You tend to find what you go looking for. Probably more a reflection of the perceiver than the user, I'd say.

The OP may be technically literate. If so, many Android devices are much cheaper than the iPad. For example, If he/she is capable, they could root a $200 Kindle Fire and run their home brew apps. This is a considerable cost savings over the base level iPad. Personally I like my walled garden and integrated iOS devices. Other people's mileage may vary, of course.

Whatever tablet you get, I recommend using a program that is sync-able with a full version on your computer. Tablets are fun, and have some great uses, but when I'm making recipes, managing ingredients, etc, I like to be at my full-sized laptop with a keyboard.

Yes I agree. I have Macs for years and have the iPad. I use Beer Alchemy and it synchs wirelessly with my other computer. I just take notes or adjustments on the fly on brew day and then synch them to my main computer.

So if you get another tablet the synch feature is important.

WebOS is dead. HP pulled the plug. So any non-mac tablet will be or is on sale at blow out prices. I suggest checking NewEgg.com often.

Is it possible to install apps such as Beersmith on an Android tablet? What about on an iPad? I'm just curious and not very "tablet" knowledgeable.

WebOS is dead. HP pulled the plug. So any non-mac tablet will be or is on sale at blow out prices. I suggest checking NewEgg.com often.

Androids are a NON-MAC tablet. And last time I checked they had a 20 something Percent market share, and that number is rising.

I say try them all, weigh the option, price, and overall value, and pick one. But I agree dont by any WEBOS stuff no matter the price, as really no new apps will be created.

iPad is great don't know about apps for beer making but now I am going to look. Flash player is not as big of a problem as I thought it might be on iPad. Use my iPad without issue. Have seen a few android based tablets and seemed very slow and glitchy to me.

I use iBrewMaster on my iPad. Worth every penny of the $5 (IIRC) cost. Keeps all my recipes, has a lot of NB recipes preloaded (which you can order the supplies directly from the app), has mash timer, boil timer, and you can also export your recipes if you want to share them. I really like it.

Also, if you like people to follow your brewing adventures, it will automatically post to Faceook and Twitter when you brew a new batch, move from primary to secondary, bottle/keg, and when your beer is ready to serve.

I use an iPad with iBrewmaster and love it. It does use the Beer XML format so recipes can be imported to other programs.

I use an iPad with iBrewmaster and love it. It does use the Beer XML format so recipes can be imported to other programs.

BeerXML is an option, but they tell you some of the mash steps might be messed up since they primarily use their own iBrewMasterXML. Either way, great app!

Thanks for all replies I was just looking for something that I can use with my brew day. I use brew pal on my iphone now and I like it. I have nothing against another Idevice but just wanted to see if any other people used any other tablets as IPad is a bit costly compared to other devices

Look for brewzor pro on Android. Works well on both my phone and Android tablet.

Sent from my FroyoEris using Home Brew Talk

I loaded Brewzor onto my Android phone. I have never used it nor even looked at it very closely. I assume this will also work on the Kindle Fire which just started to ship for $199.

Back