Style Question - Is this a Blonde Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmboyle12

Reaction score
Hey all, fairly new to brewing and looking for some input. I have a mix of some ingredients left over and wanted to throw something together to brew this weekend.

5 gal batch

6 lbs Pilsen LME
.5 lb Biscuit Malt
.25 lb Flaked Wheat
1 oz Willamette pellets
1 oz Czech Saaz pellets
Safale S-05

Any thoughts on how this would turn out? Looking for advice on hop schedule as well. Thanks!

Sounds like a nice light ale to me - it'd surely fit as a Blonde Ale. Similar in taste to a Pilsner but not as crisp. It'd be an easy drinking one, ABV around 4%.

I'd probably add half the Willamette at 60 minutes, the other half at 40 minutes, and use the Saaz for finishing, maybe at 10 or 15 minutes left in the boil. It'd have a good malt/hop balance and the Saaz would give it a nice spicy smooth hop taste. Ferment around 65 F. According to Beersmith the OG would be 1.043 and IBUs 22.

thanks for the input on the hop schedule. The biscuit doesn't necessarily need to be mashed does it? Last recipe i used it for (pumpkin ale) i just steeped it.

I was wondering about whether the biscuit and the flaked wheat would convert by themselves without base malt... and I looked it up and they both need to be mashed with base malt to convert starch to sugar. You could just steep them anyway - it's relatively small amounts anyway and you'll probably get a little bit of something out of them.

Back