No Citric acid? Use lemon juice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesnsw

Reaction score
I wanted to make some 30-minute mozzarella the other night, and realized my bottle of citric acid was nowhere to be found. Did some searching, and saw that a 1/3 cup of lemon juice would work. I was somewhat unconvinced, but it turned out exactly the same as with citric acid. Probably won't even bother buying more citric acid- unless someone knows of a problem with using lemon juice.

I wanted to make some 30-minute mozzarella the other night, and realized my bottle of citric acid was nowhere to be found. Did some searching, and saw that a 1/3 cup of lemon juice would work. I was somewhat unconvinced, but it turned out exactly the same as with citric acid. Probably won't even bother buying more citric acid- unless someone knows of a problem with using lemon juice.

SWMBO got me a cheese-making book for Christmas and I decided to try the 30-minute Mozzarella. Only I forgot to get citric acid when I got the rennet & stuff. Luckily I found this thread--this works perfectly. The recipe calls for 1 tsp dissolved in 1/2 cup water, so I used the 1/3 cup lemon juice and made it up with water to 1/2 cup. Worked great as far as I can tell--my first try at cheesemaking and everything seems to have gone smoothly.

BTW--don't know about other parts of the country, but here ordinary Walmart store brand milk is fine--it's not ultrapasteurized.

Going to have some wine & cheese - homemade Mozzarella and homebrewed Apfelwein! :)

I should point out that vinegar is a 2% solution of Acetic acid wheras Lemons are Citric acid - I would not use Acetic acid in place of Citric

Back