Yeast for an American Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jescholler

Reaction score
Does anyone know a good clean Wyeast strain for an APA (aside from the obvious 1056)?

I've used 1056 on a few batches now, and have noticed that my beers carbonate consistently slower. I'd like to try a different strain and see if I can get a similar character but maybe with a bit quicker carbonation.

P.S. I can't prove that it's the strain's fault that is making the carbonation slower to develop, but I do see a trend. See this post:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/no-secondary-quicker-bottle-carbonation-136608/

I know the two are analogs, but my LHBS carries Wyeast. WL would be a lower option on my list.

You can try Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale. Also I've heard wonders from 1275 Thames Valley. It's an english strain but I heard it produces pretty clean beers.

Another option is 1272 American ale II. It is the Anchor ale strain. I have never used it but have had a number of good beers made with it.

I give a third shout out to Wyeast 1332. Makes great APA's, the fruitiness goes perfectly with Simcoe and Crystal

+1 on US-05. I've used it several times and it works great, provided you're looking for a nice clean, non-estery fermenation (it's cheap too...bonus!). I only use liquid yeasts for specific flavors (e.g. hefe, wit, california common, etc.).

I just wanted to follow up on this thread. I went with the Wyeast 1272 and I couldn't be happier. Not only did the hops and malt work great, but I was very happy with the yeast. Out of the 10 or so batches I've done so far, I think the one with the 1272 is my best. I will definitely be using this one for nearly all of my American ales in the future.

Thanks for the help!

Latest posts

Back