yeast with decent results at 70' temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainkirk83

Reaction score
Thinking ahead to summer here. My only space to ferment is a small cabinet that stays about 65 in winter and 70 in the summer.

What yeast strains, if any, produce decent results at that temp.

The only place for a swamp cooller is the garage and in ms in summer I don't think that will work.

Belgian yeast strains do well in the 70's. Saison strains can go higher into the 80's. I have used the chico strain (US-05, WY1056, WLP001) with good results in the 70-72 range.

That's perfect weather for a Saison. WLP566 is my go to for that style. It's very distinct. Just about every yeast is going to produce a good amount of flavor at that temperature, you'll want to stay away from the ones that produce fusal alcohols. If you want something that comes out fairly clean at that temp then I will second WLP001. You will need a long rest period post fermentation.

You'll also want to use a water bath to help keep the fermentation temperature from getting way out of control, like this:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/09/swamp-cooler.html

I wouldn't use more than a gallon of ice because the low spikes will send some yeast to dormancy.

Remember, there's no shame in brewing with the seasons; like they did in the old days.
You can brew your seat cusions off in the spring, winter, and fall and enjoy the fruits of your labor when it's too darn hot to do anything else.

Thanks for the input. I was not familiar with the Saison until now. I had thought it was a lager which I don't have the space for so have not researched. A simple Saison recipe will definitely be one of my next 2-3 brews.

Belgian yeast strains do well in the 70's. Saison strains can go higher into the 80's. I have used the chico strain (US-05, WY1056, WLP001) with good results in the 70-72 range.

+1

I'd do a lot of Belgians. Pitch them at the bottom of their range (64-65 ish usually), and let them rise up to what will likely be the mid 70's.

Back