Homegrown Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schultan

Reaction score
This is a question for anybody who grows their own hops. How much (give or take) does a single hops plant produce in a given year?

Haven't started yet, but don't expect a huge harvest the first year. Some do get one, but it isn't the norm. Usually takes 2 to 3 years to start getting a really good harvest.

2 years ago I got about 3 ounces, but I did not cut back the bines, nor water, and the soil was not that great. I really only planted it for the novelty, and left it on its own. This year I did not even harvest any.

This fall (with the increase in prices), I transplanted the rizomes to a better location, and will plan on harvesting and using the hop cones.

My first year I had about 1.5oz (dried) but they were too grassy to even use. Next year I'm expecting about 4oz dried. The alpha acids are usually shaky the first couple seasons as well. Its fun harvesting either way though...

I have yet to harvest any from the first first year in the ground. Also you really need the trellis to be tall enough for you bines to stretch. I had my 06 bines in a circle around a pole that was only about 10ft tall. I think I definitely would have harvested a lot more with a taller pole, most of my hops have flowered at the top of the bine

I harvested 3 lbs of Cascade and 2 lbs of Hallertau from some friends. The hop vines have been established for 7-8 years.

From what I gather, it normally takes till the 3rd season before the hop flowers really become numerous.

How do you fellows figure out AA content in those home harvested hops? Do you actually analyze, or do you just go by the estimates and use a bit of The Force?

TL

TexLaw said:
How do you fellows figure out AA content in those home harvested hops? Do you actually analyze, or do you just go by the estimates and use a bit of The Force?

TL

I guesstimate that they're close to 5% and I never use them to bitter. I usually only steep or dryhop mine...

TexLaw said:

TL

The guy who planted the hops that I pick has the spec. sheets from the company he ordered the rhizomes from.

They give a % range for alpha, beta, and cohumulone so you have a general starting point.

So yes, I estimate and use The force! :D

A single hop plant can produce 1-2.5 pounds (dried) after three years. They are heavy feeders and need lots of water to do this.

As far as AA goes, six of my eight hops are aroma hops and the other two are middle range dual-purpose hops. I just use typical values for the hop and aim for the middle of the IBU range for the style.

for like $50 you can send out an 1oz and have them tested so you know what they really are.

I talked to a guy that grows and sells to a LHBS and this is what he does.

Question regarding growing different hops strains in close proximity. Would they end up cross pollinating so that you end up with a bunch of hybrid hops plants?

-J

miatawnt2b said:
Question regarding growing different hops strains in close proximity. Would they end up cross pollinating so that you end up with a bunch of hybrid hops plants?

-J
The hop cone is a flower produced by female plant. Cross pollination would come into the picture only if you used seeds.

I my hallertau plant gave me ~2 Oz first year and almost 1 pound second year.

david_42 said:
I just use typical values for the hop and aim for the middle of the IBU range for the style.

That what I do as well. Use the midrange AA value for the calculations and shoot for the midrange IBU for the style (or hop to my desired IBU level). If the beer is too bitter(?), you can let it age for a month or two. I like 'em bitter, so I don't usually need to age the beer for an extended period. Keep some tasting notes and you can adjust for subsequent batches, if needed.

They'll grab onto anything - pole, czech, norwegian - doesn't matter.:D I actually strung mine using nothing more than twine and threaded steel baling wire. There are pics in my gallery.

Ditto on the amounts posted already.

I grow Willamette on a 12' by 16' trellis.
I got about 8 ounces the first year, about 2 or 3 lbs the second. Now, on the 5th year, I get around 6 to 8 pounds a year.
Am going to move them next year to a larger area. Will also be planing Saaz, Mt Hood and one more as yet undecided.

Soulive21 said:
I guesstimate that they're close to 5% and I never use them to bitter. I usually only steep or dryhop mine...

Soulive - Any particular reason why you dont use them to bitter? Because since they are homegrown you are unsure about the IBUs? Just curious what might be different than hops bought from a homebrew store.

I use mine for everything - bittering, flavor, aroma. When I first planted them, I assumed they AA %'age would be low b/c an idiot like me was doing the hop farming. After I used them in an all-home-grown-hops brew, I was pleasantly surprised at how close they were to the commercial hops I'd gotten from Freshops. So, I upped the AA rating and never looked back. Stands to reason they'd be close, since I got the rhizomes from Freshops.

I did some reading on how to grow hops and found that they like high compost and dry soil. Last spring I bought some Common Hops and planted them next to our compost pile where it happens to be fairly dry and Bam! They took off! I didn’t pick them all but I think maybe there was a little less then a pound. :drunk:

I planted two rhizomes and the first year I got around 1-2oz and this year I got about 8oz per plant. I have them grow up some twine on our chimney. I was picky the first year about keeping it to 3-4 vines per plant. This year I let them go and they pretty much climbed anything within reach.

Did you use twine on the chimney to help direct the hops (and keep them separate), or can they attach directly to the chimney and keep reasonably separate on their own? How far apart do you need to plant them, e.g., how many per chimney? Did they make any marks or stains on the chimney? Seems like this would look nice, and I have a South facing chimney and an East facing chimney so maybe I can plant two each...

Back