Nothing Happening??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvinsudz01

Reaction score
I brewed an extract hefeweizen Sunday and got it to the fermenter at about 5:00 pm. Wort was about 80 deg, yeast (WLP 300) was around 65 deg. I am now approaching 48 hours with absolutely no activity. When should I get concerned and what do I do?

After 72 hours take a gravity reading and see what's going on. It's quite common for yeast to take 2-3 days to get going, it's called lag time.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/, and by visible signs we don't necessarily mean a bubbling airlock. it means gravity reading

It IS a sticky at the top of the beginners forum for a reason, afterall. ;)

"Activity is irrevelent." Just gravity points on a hydrometer.
Airlock bubbling (or lack) and fermentation are not the same thing. You have to separate that from your mindset. Airlock bubbling can be a sign of fermentation, but not a good one, because the airlock will often blip or not blip for various other reasons...so it is a tenuous connection at best.

Fermentation is not always "dynamic," just because you don't SEE anything happening, doesn't mean that any-thing's wrong,, and also doesn't mean that the yeast are still not working diligently away, doing what they've been doing for over 4,000 years.

The most important tool you can use is a hydrometer. It's the only way you will truly know when your beer is ready...airlock bubbles and other things are faulty.

The only way to truly know what is going on in your fermenter is with your hydrometer. Like I said here in my blog, which I encourage you to read, Think evaluation before action you sure as HELL wouldn't want a doctor to start cutting on you unless he used the proper diagnostic instuments like x-rays first, right? You wouldn't want him to just take a look in your eyes briefly and say "I'm cutting into your chest first thing in the morning." You would want them to use the right diagnostic tools before the slice and dice, right? You'd cry malpractice, I would hope, if they didn't say they were sending you for an MRI and other things before going in....

So wait til you hit the 72 hour mark THEN take a gravity reading. I predict that like 99.5% of ALL the threads like this, you will have a drop in gravity indicating fermentation is happening.

Wort a bit warm, but I think still ok. Give it another day or so because yeast can be pokey sometimes.

The carboy next to the one with the hefe was filled with a pale ale, after the hefe was pitched, and its going nuts. Lots of foam coming out of the blow off tube. The hefe has some orange slices along with the peel and some raspberries floating on top. This is the first time I have used fruit in the fermenter. Would this increase lag time?

I don't think so,no. But the white pith under the colored paert of the skin will lend some unpleasant bitterness. Only the colored part &/or the fruit should be used.

Yea, I had heard about the bitterness so I used a potato peeler to remove just the outside of the orange rind. It worked quite well.

Back