Chocolate Milk Stout help please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad3529

Reaction score
Hello all-
Just bottled the last batch and am on to the next.....but need a little help.
Here is what Im trying to do:
Sweet Chocolate Milk Stout.

Here is what I have:
(1) Can Mountmellick Famous Irish Stout extract 4lbs.
1 lb Lactose
3 lbs Mutons spraymalt extract - Plain Dark
1 Can of Herseys cocoa non-sweet powder.

Here is what I was going to do - Boil extract & all dry malt. At end of boil- add .5lbs of the Lactose and apx 4oz of the chocolate powder.
What do you all think??? Seems kinda plain doesnt it? I looked at other recipes but they are a bit too complicated for my level. Any ideas would be great. or if you feel I should add more / less of the above items.
Any idea the alc. content of a mix like this????
Thanks everyone.

I am afraid I way to new to be any help, but it sounds interesting, and I'm certainly curious to hear how it turns out :)

Brad3529 said:
Hello all-
Just bottled the last batch and am on to the next.....but need a little help.
Here is what Im trying to do:
Sweet Chocolate Milk Stout.

Here is what I have:
(1) Can Mountmellick Famous Irish Stout extract 4lbs.
1 lb Lactose
3 lbs Mutons spraymalt extract - Plain Dark
1 Can of Herseys cocoa non-sweet powder.

Here is what I was going to do - Boil extract & all dry malt. At end of boil- add .5lbs of the Lactose and apx 4oz of the chocolate powder.
What do you all think??? Seems kinda plain doesnt it? I looked at other recipes but they are a bit too complicated for my level. Any ideas would be great. or if you feel I should add more / less of the above items.
Any idea the alc. content of a mix like this????
Thanks everyone.

Post the whole recipe, the hops and yeast.

I would suspect that if you use the same amount of lactose and chocolate others have used it should work out.

The amount of extract may or may not be enough...sounds very interesting though:mug:

Well, that is the whole recipe. The can of extract is already hopped. The only thing that Im using that is not listed is the White Labs English Ale Yeast.

I don't see why this wouldn't work in title but it is really hard to say with the extract seeing how one is hopped.

well, here are the notes from a similar beer I did, but it was all grain....turned out great

4/8/07
Raspberry Chocolate Milk Stout

5lb Rahr 2-Row
4lb Marris Otter Floor Malt
2lb Wheat Malt
1lb Cara Malt
1lb Carafoam
1lb Crystal 80L
0.5lb Flaked Oats
0.5lb Flaked Barley
0.25lb Black Patent
0.25lb Belgian Chocolate
0.25lb German Black

1oz Perle Hops (60’)
1lb Lactose (add at 45’)
0.5lb Bakers Cocoa (did 2 additions, half at start, half at 15’)

Re-pitched on WLP004 Irish Ale yeast cake from Irish Ale (69-74% Attenuation)

Protein Rest at 122*F for 0:30 (3 gallons of dough in at 137*F)
Mash at 156*F for 1:30 (2.9 gallons at 200*F)
Sparged with 2 x ~2 gallons, total volume at boil start ~7 gallons

O.G. 1.080

Ended up with more than 5.5 gallons, probably closer to 6.5. Put ~5.5 gallons in fermenter on yeast cake, boiled rest and bottled, after 24 hours, put unfermented wort in another carboy and added same volume from other primary. Everything fermented fine and quickly (24 hours)

4/14/07 Racked all of it into a 6-gallon carboy and added 32oz raspberries (frozen organic and steeped at 160*F for 20’).

4/17/07 SG 1.020 (75% attenuation), pronounced bitter raspberry flavor, background chocolate notes, not much mouthy lactose feel as I would expect.

5/2/07 Bottled in 12oz bottles w/ ¾ cup corn sugar. FG 1.020 8% ABV

Latest posts

Back