Mint beer????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkmastiff

Reaction score
Hi i love the mint in some foods and in some beverages like mojito my question is if anyone knowns some recipe that added mint to the beer and how that taste?

mint chocolate stout, however with that being said, get actual mint and not extract... i've been waiting 6 months or so for the mint to mellow, and i dont think it will

I know a local brewer that made a "Thai" beer. He dropped a muslin bag full of lemongrass, basil, mint and lime into the keg itself and let it sit a few months. My main concern there is possible contamination. You could probably get away with adding a handful of mint and a few tbsp of lime or lemon zest during the last 5 min of the boil for something like a wit, american wheat or a blonde ale. In fact, maybe I should try that.......

I've got to admit that when I read the title of Mint beer I kind of cringed, however a mint chocolate stout, or even a porter sounds down right delicious. Would be perfect on a cold winter night.

I think mint would be a difficult thing to get right, like a spruce beer. Too little and you wonder why you bothered with the experiment, and too much and your leaving it for a year hoping it mellows in the bottle.

i added two drops of mint extract (the clear kind from the grocery store baking isle) to a pint of stout and am drinking it right now. The stout isnt great, but the mint is kind of nice. It's alot stronger in the aroma then the flavour.

My plan is to make a chocolate stout, add cocoa nibs, and some mint leaves in the secondary, and perhaps add some mint extract at packaging. The extract would be grea aroma, the leaves would give flavour, everybody wins.

you're idea made me think of the comment in one member's sig. "I could've been in Cleveland making peppermint lager with my dad!"! I'm on the fence as to whether to add it the last 10-15 minutes of the boil,or give it a burly cut & sock it up in primary like a dry hop.?...

Back