Dry-Hemping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering how it might taste extracted in alcohol and added to a cider instead of a beer? Someday when I have better means and not so much fear of the repercussions I might like to try that - in a smaller batch (2 - 3 gallons) for higher potency with less expensive herb needed. I think it might be nice for a halloween party.

Does anyone have experience incorporating marijuana into their recipes? The plants are very similar in that they are a dioecious(male/female) plant of which the unfertilized female flowers are the desired product, that's sensimilla. The bract structure of the flowers are similar as well.

Anyway, I was thinking of replacing half of my finishing hops with marijuana, or maybe dry hopping. I think this would get some flavor but not that extra funk that people would expect from using marijuana, I would imagine that would be difficult.
THC will be fat soluble when activated by heat or alcohol soluble in high concentrations of alcohol. In the case of brewing beer the alcohol concentration is too low, activation would require heat(wort boil). After that I thought all the fat particles eventually separate(trub?) during and after fermentation, taking with them the activated THC.

I'm looking forward to your responses.

Wow, apparently this subject has been around the block. I think the best idea in that thread is the Pot Head Porter that adds weedbutter in the last 15 min of the boil. Im gonna leave marijuana out of my recipes for now, I wouldn't want to ruin good beer.

Sasquatch420 said:
Wow, apparently this subject has been around the block. I think the best idea in that thread is the Pot Head Porter that adds weedbutter in the last 15 min of the boil. Im gonna leave marijuana out of my recipes for now, I wouldn't want to ruin good beer.
Or good pot...:drunk: ;)

I dont know why you would want to mix pot and beer together. Back when i smoked the stuff and i would drink beer it just made me fall asleep. I dont see the point.

bigjon88 said:
I dont know why you would want to mix pot and beer together. Back when i smoked the stuff and i would drink beer it just made me fall asleep. I dont see the point.

Hmmm last time I got really drunk and then smoked a doobie I spent the balance of the evening puking into a garbage can. Course I was 16 at the time.......

Been a loooong time since I smoked..........

i was actually planning on trying this on a small scale... by taking a gallon or 2 out of a 5 G batch and making a small concentrated Marijuana tea (about 1 cup) and adding it to the secondary... makes sense? lol i dunno was just a thought. was actually gonna post the question about it yesterday. lol didnt know how strict the board was tho.. LOL Cheers all!

well, not exactly the same thing...

My LHBS has a kit for Hemp ale, though you have to supply the hemp seeds. Apparently it was a people's choice winner back in the 2000 competition. None of this sounds particularly pleasing but hey, whatever floats you boat.

Phrasty said:
i was actually planning on trying this on a small scale... by taking a gallon or 2 out of a 5 G batch and making a small concentrated Marijuana tea (about 1 cup) and adding it to the secondary... makes sense? lol i dunno was just a thought. was actually gonna post the question about it yesterday. lol didnt know how strict the board was tho.. LOL Cheers all!

The board seems to be pretty liberal on this topic.

Repeated uses of 3+ "lol's" per post will get you banned, though :D

MOD EDIT: Multiple threads merged.

tonight i plan on racking a Blonde Ale to the secondary...and dry-hopping with another plant from the family Cannabinacea...

anyone tried it? results?

I love Tabasco Sauce

I love Ice Cream

Doesn't mean putting the two of them together results in something awesome. enjoy these separately:rockin:

mmmm, spicy ice-cream.....

point taken.

I'm not planning on wasting good weed...i have a surplus of shake and i was curious if the alcohol in the beer would actually extract the THC. also, i enjoy the flavour in baking and tea...and i think it may actually work well in beer (kush smells very floral).

but what do i know...i like peanut butter on hot dogs!

mmmm, spicy ice-cream.....

point taken.

I'm not planning on wasting good weed...i have a surplus of shake and i was curious if the alcohol in the beer would actually extract the THC. also, i enjoy the flavour in baking and tea...and i think it may actually work well in beer (kush smells very floral).

but what do i know...i like peanut butter on hot dogs!

IIRC the "active" ingredient you're looking for is fat-soluable, so steeping it won't do much other than skunk up your beer and leave you without smokables... just light a doobie while you're racking...

:cross: Surplus you say? feel like making a 1400 mile drive? uhh, for your beer I mean...

I've extracted the 'goodness' before. You need grain alcohol. Beer contains nowhere near enough alcohol to extract THC.

in other words, make some brownies, and drink an 'unenhanced' Stout or porter when you eat em (dark beer + chocolate = goodness)

Yeah, the beer they talk about in that article is a very high gravity beer with probably ~10-11% alcohol. That could probably do the trick (w/o the added goodness too:cross: ) but i doubt your blonde ale has enough alcohol to do what you want it to.

thanks Glibbidy, that's up the next time the roommate goes away for a little while. she can't handle the smell of a brew on the stove (although enjoys drinking the finished product)...

I have done some experimentation along these lines. You can get a nice floral/herbal earthy flavor with none of the:D by adding a significant amount to the secondary, or you can introduce a small bud into each bottle and seal. The beauty of that is, you get the flavor (don't expect the taste to match the aroma) and you can drink the flower in the glass to get the effects.

Word of warning, however, not all pot is clean. A good percentage of the fixed bottles spoiled... undrinkably

Good luck :mug:

malkore said:
I've extracted the 'goodness' before. You need grain alcohol. Beer contains nowhere near enough alcohol to extract THC.

this is pretty much what i understand. you need fat or strong alcohol to extract anything useful. seems like it'd be possible to make a potion by steeping it in 151 or wild turkey or something, then adding that at bottling time.

possibly useful for us apartment dwellers who don't want to be too obvious. but as has been said above i'm skeptical that the resulting product would be better than its components.

so it's been 1 week with the secret ingredient in the secondary so i tried a sample. I am very impressed with the flavour and aroma, turned out pretty much how i expected. I was pretty worried when we racked from the primary because it smelled like wet hay...and beer. i'd like to let it sit for another week to completely settle but i'd like to get the shake out. is it common to transfer to a tertiary for another week?

john from dc said:
seems like it'd be possible to make a potion by steeping it in 151 or wild turkey or something

I recall a thread on a different brewing forum (Northern Brewer maybe?) on this subject. Those who claimed to have been successful created a "tincture" with vodka and weed. Don't remember when they added it to the brew . . .

AllHoppedUp said:
I recall a thread on a different brewing forum (Northern Brewer maybe?) on this subject. Those who claimed to have been successful created a "tincture" with vodka and weed. Don't remember when they added it to the brew . . .

seems to me that if you need a high level of alcohol to extract the desired effects, why not just extract into a pint of vodka and then add the vodka to the beer...

If you're going to use it you need to heat the cannabis up just like cooking. I think the activation temp is 180 or so. Cooking in oil helps aid the extraction but you could by without. I would recommend adding it with about 10 min left in your boil, not dry hopping. You could boil it in a bit of water and add the liquid to your secondary.

NWernBrewer said:
Word of warning, however, not all pot is clean. A good percentage of the fixed bottles spoiled... undrinkably
I've heard of people soaking their hops in vodka before dry-hopping with them, as a way of minimising the risk of infection. Whilst I don't think that'd be really necessary, it might be one way to reduce the spoliage you talk about if you wanted to add pot at the bottling stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back