Pizza and Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRoyLenz

Reaction score
I'm sitting here on an ugly Sunday night, enjoying my traditional 'Sunday Night Pizza and Beer.'

I'm enjoying both a Hawaiian Style Pizza, and Pepperoni and Bacon, with a nice glass of O'Fallons 5 Day IPA.

There are few things in this world better than Pizza and Beer. What style of beer do you typically find to be the best to pair with pizza?

Well, styles of pizza vary almost as much a beer. You have spicy pizza, fruity pizza, meaty pizza, veggie, garlicky, white sauce, red sauce, cheesy, ect.
Hmmmm...I would say most IPAs go good with pizza ;)

For me it is a nice malty lager.

I put together a lager a couple years ago that turned out bready and yeasty just like pizza crust, it was awesome. It's on my list to brew again when I get started with my lagers next month.

I am personally partial to a nice Chicago deep dish paired with a nice mild. The roasty, bready flavor of the beer pairs with the crust while the lightness of the mild cut the heaviness of the pizza.

I had that very thing tonight. We had a 5 meat pizza and I had one bottle of Full Sail Wassail and followed that up with a bottle of New Belgium Trippel.

I'd pretty much say IPA to most food, especially chicken dishes, not quite sure why. Had some Lagunitas Imperial Red with sausage pizza tonight.

I am personally partial to a nice Chicago deep dish paired with a nice mild. The roasty, bready flavor of the beer pairs with the crust while the lightness of the mild cut the heaviness of the pizza.

+1

Couldn't have said it better myself.:mug:

I normally drink Coca-Cola with pizza, but I rarely have that in the house anymore. We just don't drink much pop. (excepting the wife who is trying to quit MTD.)

I don't prefer stronger beers with beer though. I like a cold, fairly carbed refreshing drink to wash the pizza sauce down. Other styles of pizza go good with some other styles of beer though. Like garlic chicken and mushrooms, for example.

I like a simple Pale Ale or a Red with Pizza. We seem to just eat your basic Pap Johns supreme or local Dive Bar pizza heaven that is Jerry's Pizza. So just a basic pizza with tomatoe sauce the the standard deluxe toppings.

I generally don't drink beer with pizza. If I do, it will be a low-ABV, low hop beer like a Mild or Bitter. Now, chili goes well with a big stout.

At Oggi's, a big glass of Hop Juice with their hot wing pizza (wing sauce, chicken, red onions, sesame seeds) puts me in a happy, happy place.

I can't taste anything for the rest of the day, but really, why would you want to?

Back