Diffusion Stone For Carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgardner6

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I've used one. You can carb a batch of brew in about 15 minutes, with no rocking the keg around on the floor to absorb the co2.

What's the process for this? Is it like using an aeration stone for pre-fermentation oxygenation of wort, where you just leave it in at the of a wand in an open container? What PSI would I want to use?

No the keg needs to be cold.

You would use the PSI that results in the desired volumes or grams per liter of c02 at the temperature the beer is at. Just like the set it and forget it method, only faster.

No the keg needs to be cold.

You would use the PSI that results in the desired volumes or grams per liter of c02 at the temperature the beer is at. Just like the set it and forget it method, only faster.

So, open-top, chilled keg, at normal force-carb pressure, for about 15 minutes?

So, open-top, chilled keg, at normal force-carb pressure, for about 15 minutes?

I think it probably takes longer than 15 minutes. It will be faster and waste less c02 if the keg is sealed while you do this. B3 sells a lid with the stone in it that you can use for this.

If I did this I would set it to my equilibrium pressure in a sealed keg and go overnight. If you have a bunch of kegs to carb do one when you go to bed, one when you leave for work and one when you get back. Three a day should be fast enough. 8 hours is probably longer than needed, but it doesn't hurt anything and you'll know it is done.

Can't you put the stone on the end of the gas-in dip tube?

To my knowledge, the barb on a stone would be too big. The only option would be to use a small length of tubing to connect each one together and use some small clamps to seal it together. But that seems like such a hassle and that brings up the how do you get it out once its done. I dont feel like disassembling my kegs.

To my knowledge, the barb on a stone would be too big. The only option would be to use a small length of tubing to connect each one together and use some small clamps to seal it together. But that seems like such a hassle and that brings up the how do you get it out once its done. I dont feel like disassembling my kegs.

I'm going from memory here, but I think in the midwest catalog it says to attach it to your gas in tube with a 2' length of tubing to place it at the bottom of your keg.

My question is would there be carbonic bite in the beer as a result of carbing this fast?

I'm going from memory here, but I think in the midwest catalog it says to attach it to your gas in tube with a 2' length of tubing to place it at the bottom of your keg.

My question is would there be carbonic bite in the beer as a result of carbing this fast?

IME you can force carb the beer but it is better if you let it sit carbonated for a while. However, there are some advantages to not having to leave c02 hooked up the whole time not limited to but including not finding out you have a leak the hard way.

Back