got 3 beers on tap, got room for 4, what do I need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleWolf

Reaction score
Hey everyone, So I have room for 4 cornys in my fridge and I currently have 3 filled/will be filled with Imperial/India Brown Ale (it falls between the two)7.7% ABV 104IBU, IPA 7.4% ABV 65 IBU, and Lemongrass Wheat 4.4% ABV 18IBU..

What does everyone here think I should brew in order to make a good rounded collection of beers? There is no particular style of beer I am overly opposed to so feel free to be inventive. I imagined a stout or lager, but I really want to hear what everyone has to say.

I do have a cocoa almond porter in fermentation...unfortunately it isn't mine lol. A buddy is trying out brewing at my place. I might have to rebrew it

hhhmmmm never considered a schwarzbier what exactly constitutes a schwarzbier?

The most common commercial example around here is Samuel Adams Black Lager. IMO, one of their best beers. Its a relatively malty, clean lager. The color comes from debittered black malt, like Carafa III so you get the color, but very little or no roastiness.

Here are the basics: http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style04.php#1c

You need something really malty to balance out all those IBU's. I like the porter or stout idea. Maybe a southern english brown ale.

Since it is summer, do you think I should shy away from the darker beers? Maybe a light refreshing saison? Or do you think the lemongrass wheat will be too similar? I will see how this cocoa almond porter turns out and I may rebrew it.

The most common commercial example around here is Samuel Adams Black Lager. IMO, one of their best beers. Its a relatively malty, clean lager. The color comes from debittered black malt, like Carafa III so you get the color, but very little or no roastiness.

Here are the basics: http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style04.php#1c

Kostrizer (sp?) is pretty easy to find at any store that has a decent import selection, too.

That said, I vote for a red ale!

a red ale would be a welcome addition. Not too dark, not too light, unique flavor...hhhmmmm.

it turned out well. I will have to wait and see what the porter brings. it only used .75 lbs UN-roasted almonds...should be interesting. A stout is in the plans for winter, but my only problem is for summer it seems out of place. that doesn't mean i am not considering it though lol.

screw that! stouts are a year round beer in the natic household lol

Second on the Schwartzbier. Sam Adam's was a pleasant surprise when I tried it. I agree that it's one of their best.

An mild Irish Red @ about 25 ibu's and carmely, would work well with that trio. A nice Pilsner would also give a nice variation.

Bull

Back