RE: Farty/Eggy smell during fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldrice

Reaction score
This is the first time I have ever brewed w/o putting the hops (pelletized) in a bag during the boil. I threw them directly into the wort and, admittedly, I failed to filter out the bulk of the trub when transferring to primary (experimenting with different techniques). Whether or not its the hops, cold break or hot break, I am now enjoying a smell during fermentation reminiscent of a cat box. Its an oatmeal raisin porter, which I have done before without any problems. I also used the same yeast the last time- British Ale WLP005. The only variables (obvious, anyway) are my failure to remove the trub, and my decision to not use a grain bag to keep out the hop sediment. There is a lovely layer of krausen on top and the whole business seems to be in order, but there is just a very strong odor going along with it... perhaps it's the raisins?

Sounds like sulphur, that is common with some yeasts

Raisins? Maybe...

I am sure it is all good, keep your nose away from it ;)

I had a Cream Ale that made it difficult to open the door to the room where it was fermenting.

All is good - Its just the yeast.

The first time SWMBO got a wiff of it she wanted me to throw it out. It turned out to be one of her favorites.

Heh, sweet irony, huh? Something that tastes so good starts so foul, even the unfermented wort...ugh! Its just odd that I have brewed I think 8 beers, 3 cysers and 2 apple braggots, and have never experienced this smell. Anyhow, thanks for the assurance, everyone!:mug:

Back