First brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpac2k

Reaction score
So I'm all set to do my first brew this weekend and I've been reading Palmers how to brew and he suggest rehydrating the dry yeast packet and the instructions that came with the kit say just to pitch the yeast as is.....any advice or recommendations... Thanks all..!!

Either work. One other thing to remember even about Palmer's how to brew (which is more recent than the joy of homebrew), is that yeast quality and producers have improved the quality of dry yeast. I generally follow the packages instructions since they make the yeast. One bit is if it says hydrate in sugar water, ignore that. Only use water, or use a little malt and water.

I've done it both ways with no problems (ie got beer). For your first brew, concentrate on things like sanitation. Adding the hops on time, cooling the wort, not boiling over, proper yeast care are all good and important, but sanitation is key. Once mastered, the other peices can be chased more thoroughly.

If you start your boil and hydrate the yeast at the same time, or just pitch it directly when you are done, then you will still get beer.

For your first brew, concentrate on things like sanitation. Adding the hops on time, cooling the wort, not boiling over, proper yeast care are all good and important, but sanitation is key. Once mastered, the other peices can be chased more thoroughly.

If you start your boil and hydrate the yeast at the same time, or just pitch it directly when you are done, then you will still get beer.

+1. Pitching it dry will be fine. Use your first brew to concentrate on understanding the process and getting your brew day setup and "system" down. Worry about stuff like whether or not to rehydrate yeast later.

Most importantly, don't stress about it and have fun. You will make good beer. :mug:

Also, its important to remember if you're doing extract with specialty grains to not use more than 1.5 gallons to steep your grains in due to PH issues between the grain and water and tannin extraction.

It's so easy to rehydrate though, just 4 oz of warm water, sprinkle the yeast in, and after 15 or 20 minutes I pitch them ......

Well I tell ya I can't wait for Saturday so I can get started I've been getting ready for this for about a month or so but my hopes were literally shattered when my primary carboy arrived in a hundred pieces..!!!!

That is one reason why I use buckets - and before we argue about it, I refer everyone to the 'this verse that' thread sticky. If you want a carboy fine, just don't make me use them (although I do sometimes)

At least it wasn't full of beer when it broke!

Is whoever you ordered it from going to replace it? If you tell them what happened and that you were planning to brew this weekend, you might even be able to get them to upgrade the shipping speed at no cost.

You ain't kidding..!!! It was Northern brewer and they replaced it no questions asked and they did upgrade the shipping to second day air. It should be here wednesday..... Hopefully in one piece.

Yes it was...and thanks. The first thing I did when I opened the box was to send them an email (they had already closed) explaining that I was a first time customer and I was planning on brewing that weekend. The next day I called first thing in the morning and explained the situation they apologized and took care of it right away.

Back